Incognito

Cora was in her usual spot - the corner of the sofa, feet up, knees tucked into her chest with the oversized shirt stretched over them, looking out the window - when Tom arrived home. She wasn't expecting him home, yet, and, though he burst through the door in a tizzy, it didn't startle her. "I expected you later," she said, her voice calm, even, as she didn't remove her attention from the sea.

"We need to go," Tom commanded. "They're after you."

"I know," she replied. When she turned to look at him and unfolded herself,  he could see the ocean in her eyes - the swirling blue-greens, the seafoam, a microcosm of life, all there. "What do you propose we do?"

He's come in with a plastic pharmacy bag in his hands and held it out to her. "All I can think of is changing your appearance," he sighed. "Right now they're looking for a woman who looks like... well... you. It'll give us a chance to at least get a head start on the feds."

She took the bag from him and opened it. Inside, there was a pair of scissors, a brush, a comb, a box of blonde hair dye and some make-up. "I don't know what to do with any of this," she said as she set it down on the sofa. Her eyes began to tear up. "Am I supposed to?"

Tom shook his head and sat down on the other end of the sofa, reaching out with a sympathetic pat on her knee. "No," he replied, his demeanor softening, "You don't." He chuckled. "I don't either, to be honest. But I called in reinforcements."

Right after he said it, the words still hanging in the air, there was a knock on the door. It was soft, the kind that didn't sound like it came from someone in charge, but rather someone who wanted to remain undetected. A muffled voice came from the other side of the door in a loud whisper. "It's Liz."

A knowing look passed between Tom and Cora as he stood up. "She's alright," Cora smiled. Tom wasn't sure if she was drawing on some odd sixth sense, but he nodded and returned her smile before walking to the door.

Liz burst into the room in a flurry of color and excitement. "No kisses this time, Pretty Boy," she announced with a smirk. "Now, you were so secretive on the phone."  She set down the many shopping bags she was carrying in the middle of the living room. "I brought those like you asked," she motioned to the bags. "Care to tell me what this is about?"

Tom shut the door behind her. "Thanks for coming, Liz," he greeted. "Please, have a seat."

"Who are you?" Liz said when she spied Cora on the sofa. Realization dawned on her and her mouth formed into a knowing O. "Wait," she froze, "Are you her?" Without waiting for Cora's answer, she turned to Tom. "Is that her?"

"Yeah," Tom answered. "Liz, meet Coralline."

Cora stood and extended her hand to Liz. "It's a pleasure to meet you," she said, her voice exuding warmth, but her demeanor calm and cool.

"You're like a local celebrity," Liz gushed as she took her hand back and held it against her chest. "Wow."

"Now, Liz," Tom said once she'd perched on the edge of an armchair opposite Cora, "The reason I called you is because I need your help. You're the only one I can trust."

Liz made a face, squinting her eyes and puckering her lips before sucking in her cheeks and then letting it go with a pop. "What do you mean?" she asked.

Tom sat down on the sofa next to Cora and put his arm up on the back behind her. He took a deep breath. "I've got to be honest, Liz," he finally said, "There's someone after me. It might be the feds, it might not be. They followed me from the office and I lost them in the drug store parking lot."

"How'd you manage that?" she laughed.

He didn't return her humor. "Their car got blocked in by a mini van," he explained. "I sped out of there before they could follow me and ended up far enough down the road, making a few turns, that they had no idea where I went."