R.S 6

The next morning Chris went to work without waking me up. I opened my eyes to silence and no one next to me. The bed seemed sort of lonely. I was disappointed that he hadn't waken me up, even though I wouldn't have liked being woken up. I would have loved seeing his face in the morning. I hadn't just come home because I couldn't train or play; I had also come because I wanted to spend time with him. We had a long distance relationship and it wasn't easy. We talked almost every day, but it was only for a few minutes. He was tired from work and I was exhausted from training. I played on weekends so even weekends were not completely open for us to just talk and laugh.

I looked at the clock on the bedside table. It read 8:47 am. I wondered if Shannon was up yet, but I didn't have to wonder for long as I heard movement outside my door. I decided to get out of bed. Just as I grabbed my crutches, my phone rang. I picked it up promptly.

"Hey bro", I said.

"Hey you", I heard a familiar voice at the other end of the line. "Why didn't you tell me you are injured?"

"I didn't have to, news travel fast. See, you already know", I said.

"Only because dad told me. He's also told me that you are in Maryvale", Gabe said.

"Yeah", I said sitting myself comfortably on the bed. "I couldn't sit there and watch people train without me. It's demoralizing".

"I would assume it would motivate you instead", he said.

"Motivate me to do what? I don't control the healing of my bones".

"Is it that bad? I thought it was not that serious".

My lips twisted. I hated hearing such words. I didn't like discussing the severity of my injury. I didn't like being reminded that this was the worst injury I had picked up, and quite possibly the worst injury a player could get. Well, when you do think about it, breaking your cervical vertebra was the worst. But for me, breaking a bone in the middle of a season disheartened me.

"It's not that serious", I said.

"How long will you be in Maryvale?" he asked.

"A couple of weeks", I lied.

"Oh. I'm coming back in 2 months. It would have been nice to have the whole family together in one place".

"Yeah. Depending on where you'll be, we could go to Fraser's peak for a couple of days end of season, just you, Sam, Chris and I. And Tyler and whoever he'll be dating by then".

Gabe chuckled. "That's a good idea. I'll see where I'll be and confirm with Sam. It would be nice to spend some time together. I miss you", he said.

"Don't get all mushy on me", I said smiling.

"What?" I imagined him shrugging. "I am not afraid of my own feelings, like somebody I know".

"I am not afraid of my feelings. I just don't reveal them. That's girly", I said.

"You still have a lot to learn little brother", Gabe said, then, "I've got to go, work's calling".

"Have a great day", I said and he hung up.

I ultimately freshened up and made my way to the kitchen. I walked in on breakfast. Shannon was putting the final touches to her breakfast meal, which consisted of caramelized onion and pepper quesadillas and what I assumed was her dreaded broccoli juice. The juice filled up a 250 milliliter glass. I frowned when I saw it.

Shannon saw my frown and gave me a wicked smile. "You'll love it, and if you don't, you'll bear it. I've added some sweet apple, so it's not so bad".