Chapter 1 - Dorcas Meadowes

Start from the beginning

"Mar, you still jump from bed to bed for fun. What's the message, Dory?"

"Don't call me that," Dorcas muttered automatically, eyes scanning the letter.

"He wants me to come in for questioning about the thief," Dorcas said, bewildered. "And he said he enjoys Cockroach Clusters."

Marlene made a face at the mention of the disgusting candy.

"That's the password to his office," Lily said. "I wonder why he thinks you're the thief?" She sounded thoughtful and a bit offended.

"Oh, bugger off. He doesn't think I'm the thief, per say," Dorcas said defensively. "Maybe he just thinks I know something."

Lily and Marlene looked at her expectantly, and Dorcas stood up. 

"Not that I do know anything," she snapped, snatching up her bag and stalking from the library.

Marlene and Lily looked at each other. "Geez," said Marlene, "I wonder what's got her wand in a knot?"

Lily only shrugged and returned to the struggle that was her Transfiguration essay.

***

Dorcas reached the Headmaster's office and looked at the entrance for a moment. When nothing happened, she tried, "Cockroach Clusters?"

The gargoyle shifted and Dorcas was allowed to climb the stairs to Dumbledore's office. She raised her hand to knock, but the door swung open before she could do so, and she found herself standing on the threshold of a huge circular room, the walls filled with portraits of old headmasters and the floor covered in fascinating trinkets. In the middle of the room was a desk, with a wizened old man sitting behind it, stroking a -- was that a phoenix?! -- while gaxing intently at her.

Professor Dumbledore spoke. "Ah, Miss Meadowes. I've been expecting you. Please -- sit." He gestured to a wooden chair in front of his desk. The phoenix gave a soft squawk.

Feeling nervous, Dorcas perched lightly on the edge of the seat, taking in her surroundings.

"Miss Meadowes, you were absent at dinner on the first night back, when the Crown of Hogwarts was stolen." It wasn't an accusation; it was merely an observation. Dorcas jerked her head slightly.
"Might I ask where you were?"

Dorcas cleared her throat, but her answer still came out hoarse. "There was -- a party. Sort of a back-to-school celebration, I guess. Most of the older students came."

"And you were attending?"

Dorcas nodded once again.

"How long did the party last?"

"Oh, a long time... probably till two, three in the morning."

"And you were there the whole time?"

"Yes."

Dumbledore nodded. "Could you maybe... describe the party? What happened there?"

Dorcas stared at him for a moment, her mind racing. She couldn't spill her deepest, darkest secrets; she couldn't rat out the Marauders; she couldn't tell the truth. 

So Dorcas made up her mind, opened her mouth, and began to lie.

***

Dorcas had just finished her interview (interrogation?) with Dumbledore and was walking back to the Gryffindor common room to clean up for dinner when she heard someone calling her name.

She turned to see Emmeline Vance, a Ravenclaw from her year. Dorcas' mouth ran dry and she glanced around quickly. No one was there but Emma.

The blond finally caught up to Dorcas. "Hi," she said breathlessly.

Dorcas didn't answer. Her mind had gone blank.

"Listen, about the party..."

Emma droned on about how she had had such a great time while Dorcas stared at her. The blue-haired girl had never really noticed how pretty Emma was -- she had beautiful honey-colored hair, and large brown eyes that seemed to sparkle and reflect gold every now and then. Her thin lips were a delightful pinkish color, and her straight nose had almost invisible freckles spattered across it. Compare that to Dorcas' short blue hair, dull brown eyes, and too-full lips.

"...so I was wondering what you thought about, you know..."

Dorcas brought herself back down to Earth and blinked. She knew exactly what Emma was talking about.

"Listen, you better not be one of those girls who are experimenting or whatever," Dorcas warned. "I don't want to have to go through with that. If you're not going to be serious, then it's not happening."
Emma nodded slowly. "I'm not. It's been like this since I was thirteen," she said, stepping closer. "And it's always been you," she whispered.

So Dorcas kissed her.

***

Albus Dumbledore reviewed the list of students one more time, finding a long-time enemy of the four troublemakers. He scribbled the boy's name and set his quill down triumphantly.

Surely one of the students would confess.