Chapter 9 - Jealousy, Ice Cream And Godzilla's Pink Tutu

Start from the beginning

I cut her off mid sentence since I wasn't in the mood for a lecture on how my generation was 'spoilt and lethargic' and how technology was ruining our lives.
"I'll go first thing after breakfast, okay? Just don't use phrases like 'hanging out'. You sound like a giggly teenager in high school."

Dear universe, stop trying to find excuses to torture me! I really didn't want to go to that house with cookies like a stupid girl scout.

~*~

Please don't let Aaron open the door. Please don't let Aaron open the door. Please don't let-

"Hi."

A sense of relief flooded through me when I heard the distinctly feminine voice. I looked up to see a girl my age smiling warmly at me.
What was I thinking? This was even worse than the devil opening that door himself. I bet she was Aaron's girlfriend. I mean, she sure looked pretty enough to fit the part, with her long blonde hair, slender figure and mischievous, grey eyes.

I looked like a tramp from the streets in comparison. How could an ordinary nerd like me ever get any attention when there were airbrushed models like her?
It made perfect sense for the hot bad boy to pick this gorgeous girl.

What the freaking hell?

Did I just call him the hot bad boy?
Why was I competing for attention in the first place?

Was I...jealous?

No. I was just thinking about social status and guys' logic. That's it.

"Hey, I'm Avery. Is Mrs. Miller home? I...uh...need to give her some...cookies...?"

Bravo! Way to go, Avery. She must already think you're such a weirdo. Now stop talking to yourself and do something besides behaving like an imbecile.

"Hi Avery, come in. I'm Lara by the way." I still hadn't returned her smile, but she didn't seem too bothered by that.

"Oh. Do you live here?"

And the award for the most obvious and dumb questions in a conversation goes to...Avery Gradson!

"Nah. I live in Chicago, but Aaron had been begging me to visit since forever. I missed everyone, especially him, so finally when I graduated from school I decided to spend the rest of the year here, in New Jersey."

I couldn't stop the slight disappointment that hit me on hearing how fondly she spoke of him.

That was plain, simple disappointment. Right?

Okay, that's it. I couldn't keep speculating and assuming things. I should just get it over with, like ripping off a band aid in one go. I would deal later, with the disappointment that was bound to follow.
"Cool. So how long have you and Aaron been together?"

I had never seen a person fall off a chair laughing. Sure, everyone says 'I laughed so hard, I almost fell out of my chair' but someone actually falling off a chair due to laughter was a whole new experience for me.

Lara was currently writhing on the floor clutching her stomach and I was standing nearby, freaking out because I was convinced she was having a seizure and that I was responsible for it.

"Did you seriously think that Aaron and I were like...dating?"

I nodded in reply and seeing the embarrassment and confusion on my face, she finally controlled her cackling.
"We're cousins! Besides, if I liked someone, it sure as hell wouldn't be a doofus like Aaron."

That got me laughing too.
We were both exchanging introductions when a woman who looked to be in her late forties walked in. I presumed it was Valencia miller, Aaron's mother, but her dressing style didn't exactly fit the 'mom' persona. She was wearing black skinny jeans and a red layered top.