Instincts - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"Good morning Mr Wright, and uh, Mr Wright?" Kat called, frowning as she wondered what she was supposed to call the men. The three men chuckled, Ryder and Hunter's faces pulling into sexy grins that had Kat clenching with want. She sucked in a breath, before turning away, trying to ignore the tightness in her abdomen as she crossed her legs and squeezed. These men were going to be the death of her! "Did you organise the meeting for this afternoon?" Mr Wright fired. Kat nodded. 

"It's booked for 3pm." She announced, not letting her eyes stray from the older man to the young ones next to him. She could see Ryder holding a smirk out of the corner of her eye, whilst Hunter frowned. Swallowing the lump that seemed to form in her throat, Kat watched as Mr Wright nodded and smiled. He noticed that his secretary's attention seemed to be wavering to his sons. He knew his sons sometimes shared their women, and wondered if they intended to share Kat. He hoped at least one of them would settle down with her, he knew of Kat's history, and whilst she was a little bit rough he knew that this woman could keep his sons in check. She was far better suited to them and their family than any of the previous women that they brought home. He remembered one from a few years back and shivered in disgust. She had been about one thing, and one thing only, his sons had just been too young and blind to see it.  Ryder he seemed to have the most difficulty with, as the boy would not act the way he deemed appropriate. He always donned a leather jacket, and rode that darn death trap. Hunter he considered to be the more refined of the two, knowing when to dress in office attire and how to speak to clients, but they were two halves of a whole, and whilst Hunter had the social skills, Ryder was the genius.  Mr Wright nodded to himself before addressing Kat. His secretary was staring at her computer and typing furiously, most likely doing the reports he had asked of her. Clearing his throat, he spoke.

"Kat, could you step in to my office for a moment?" He asked politely, sending the woman a warm smile. Her pale blue eyes snapped to his before standing from her desk and grabbing a notepad and pen. Mr Wright disappeared into his office and took his seat, watching as Kat was forced to take the seat opposite him, right in the middle of his sons.  He snorted quietly to himself, internally giving his sons props. They really knew how to get under someone's skin and were good at charming their way around things, a trait they had proudly picked up from himself. He sent an amused smile at Ryder when Kat sat down, noticing that her movements were slightly stiffer than before. He was impressed with her when she didn't drop her professional demeanor upon meeting the boys. He knew of their reputation as "lady killers" and he had noticed the change in some of the clothing the women were wearing around the office over the last few days. It only raised his opinion of his secretary higher and he grinned at her, the corners of his eyes crinkling into crows feet.  "Now Kat, I just wanted to brief you overview the meeting this afternoon." He told her, dropping back into serious mode. "I am retiring, and I am giving the company to my sons to take over." He announced, folding his hands over each other on the table top. He watched curiously as Kat's eyes seemed to spark, he had no idea of the emotion, before she nodded. 

"What would you like me to do?" She asked, jumping straight to the point. This was what he loved about her and why she had been such a good secretary over the years. She had taken all of his demands, crazy or not, into her stride and completed each task with a competency like no other. "At this point, nothing. You will come to know my sons as well as you know me over time. Just incorporate their needs into your daily tasks." Mr Wright finished, sending Kat a kind smile. Kat smiled back, but she didn't know if it reached her eyes. Her heart was beating a tattoo against her rib cage and the urge to groan in defeat was only just being bitten back. How was she supposed to work with these gorgeous men! They drove her crazy with want and the need to mount them on the table was eating away at her.  Kat took notes on what Mr Wright was saying, peeking over at Ryder and Hunter occasionally, amused at their differences. They were both staring at her, meeting her eyes each time they flicked to them, but whereas Hunters face was serious, nodding occasionally at his father's words, Ryder was smirking, the corners of his mouth twitching as he stared intently at her. The boys posed two unique personalities that she knew would have caused a lot of fights while they were growing up, but even after this short time, she couldn't imagine them any other way. She could already feel herself wishing she was able to get to know them on a more personal level, but she wouldn't. It was inappropriate of her, as much as she wished it weren't.  It was an hour later when she finally left the office. Her note pad was full and her head was spinning. She had so much work to do to prepare the office for the Wright brothers take-over. By the time the company meeting had rolled around Kat was skittering in her seat. She wanted to go home, have dinner and jump in the shower to get ready for her night out with Laura. She also wanted to escape the gorgeous men that she had been in and out of meetings with all day. They were everywhere, constantly plaguing her thoughts.  The announcement was met with a purring excitement from many of the women and an aloof acceptance from everyone else. Before too long Kat was saying her goodbyes, avoiding her new bosses and running out the building, quickly making her way to the car. She was just lucky that the men had to stay in the office, or she suspected that would have walked her to the vehicle. They followed her everywhere, trying to glean every last bit of information from her life. They were exhausting, yet their husky laughs had made it all worth it, with the tightening in her abdomen and the constant urge to go to the bathroom and fix herself.  Stepping out of the shower, Kat ran to her ringing phone.