Chapter 1 - Happy Birthday

It had been three days since I had seen Ethan, Logan and Charlotte. I longed to see them. The faceless men cloaked in black, velvety robes had been ordered to find my whereabouts and imprison me. Their leader was my own flesh and blood.

Paying close attention to the water droplets falling from the ceiling and forming a puddle had occupied the empty hours in a chilling cell. I grew tired of seeing my reflection in the puddle of icy water. I tired of staring at that dark brown, thick, curly and uncontrollable hair, as well as a brown right eye, blue left eye and thick lashes and eyebrows. Handcuffs covered the markings on my wrists. On my left wrist was a circular marking containing a bow and arrow and on my right wrist, a circle filled by a cross. There was slight comfort in not seeing them. I felt normal; after all, what seventeen-year-old girl has tattoos on her wrists since her infancy?

The dungeon door thudded.

"Who's there?" My heart felt like it was beating in my ears. Was the guard here? Could it be my rescuers, my friends? I hoped that it was the latter. I started to shake on the cold dungeon floor and didn't dare blink. Another thud on the door followed. I let out an involuntary scream. The door opened. My friends were finally here. Relief overwhelmed me and my frayed nerves were somewhat calmed.

"It's about time!" I was still shaking. "Ethan, they took Charlotte! We have to hurry or we'll be too late!"

"Don't worry sis, we'll find her. Whatever it takes, Brianna, we will find her." I am so lucky to have someone as supportive and brave as Ethan in my life. Speaking of brave, Logan was also there. Those deep blue eyes and ebony-black hair dragged me in like a lifeline. Logan's light complexion was the perfect backdrop for his eyes.

"Here, let me help you with those." The closer he came, the faster my heart raced. But, did he feel the same about me? His rough and sturdy hands unlocked my handcuffs. As the pressure was released, a burning sensation gripped my wrists; red indentations remained.

"Are you okay?" His smooth fingers stroked the rough skin of my wrists.

"I will be."

"Come on you two, let's get a move on!" Ethan rolled his eyes and urged us along with a wave.

A cold chill ran down my spine as Logan's warm hands clenched my arms. Once I was steady, Logan placed his hands gently on my shoulders and met my eyes. "Brianna, do you have

any idea where Charlotte is?" His cool touch almost distracted me from answering the question. I went scarlet.

"I overheard the guard. I think he said the north wing of the castle - near the King's Chambers."

Logan's eyes were still deeply focussed on mine. "Then that is where we will head!"

"Come on!" Ethan waved his hands again, ushering us along.

Logan's hands fell from my shoulders and held my waist to support me. "Let's go then." His voice was so smooth and hypnotic; he intoxicated me. It had to stop! There were more important things to deal with!