Chapter 33-Jealous?

Start from the beginning

"Harper, you can tell me." He said. Harper sighed. "Its this. I can't do this." James cocked his eyebrow. "I thought this is what you wanted." Harper bit back the threatening tears as she took a deep breath to face him. "James, I can't do this, knowing this might just be a fling or the feeling that you only come to me when you're stressed. I don't want...that." James frowned, feeling his smile deflate inside. "Harper...I don't know what we are but...I wouldn't use you."

Harper shook her head. "That's not enough for me." She looked down clenching her fists before meeting his eyes. "You really hurt me the past weeks. You changed around me in a sudden as if before never meant anything and now you...have the guts to be here practically trying to get with me, cause you know I'm easy for you. Aren't you?"

James shook his head. "Of course not. Harper, I would never." He tried reaching for her hand but she slipped it away instantly. "Don't." She threatened. "All I wanted...was something real." She stressed. James held his head down low sighing unable to meet her eyes. "I...don't think I can give you want you want." Harper parted her lips, her glaze becoming softer as she muttered. "Well do you...f-feel anything for me?" James looked up, the plea in her eyes, he knew how he felt but he couldn't believe it or wouldn't, instead he muttered. "I-I don't know." Harper listened to those words feeling like they pierced straight through her. Sighing she got up off the couch straightening her skirt down that had slightly risen and began walking towards the door.

James stopped her by grabbing her wrist. "Don't, please you got to understand...I don't...know how to feel." He pleaded, failing to admit the real truth. Harper rolled her eyes to the ceiling trying to rid of the tears. "I think you should...go." Harper shook her wrist free. "Unless...you know what you want then you can forget about this...or whatever happened between us." James watched as she opened the door failing to meet his eyes as he got up. He didn't even brave a word instead got up moving to the door.

Harper muttered as he headed outside. "If you wanted us, then you would have done something about it. Instead you are messing with my feelings." James could see the tears threatening in her eyes. "I'll change this, I promise." He said. Harper shrugged her shoulders. "Go ahead Mr Brewer. I'm not stopping you." James felt even worse than he did before and walked on ahead. Harper shut the door instantly falling to her knees as tears rolled down her cheeks however no sound escaped form her lips, she just remained quiet expect only tears falling.

~~~

The following morning James was surrounded by the empty glass bottle of whiskey, he must have had about six glasses from it before pouring all the rest away in the sink. Then the rest of the night he spent clearing up the mess he made by smashing a expensive vase onto the floor. He had slept in last night's clothes and couldn't even be bothered to get up now. Manny his housekeeper however was the one when she found him in the state.

"Mr Brewer. What ever happened?" She gasped, tugging on the curtains as she opened the wide. James grumbled as sunlight stung upon his eyes. "Close them." He grumbled again beneath the duvet covers.. Manny shook her head placing her hands firmly on her hips. "Mr Brewer, this behaviour is unacceptable. You have to get up. And Miss Daniels is outside." Instantly James sat up scrunching his eyes as he raked his hand through his bedhair. Manny smirked to herself before walking out the room. She was he fretted. He got up replacing his shirt for a black plain top and fluffed his hair on the way to his bedroom door. It would have to do he thought, rushing downstairs he took a deep breath opening the front door where as Manny said, she was actually there. Her back was facing him.

She turned politely smiling as she held out a item before him. James own smile deflated knowing she hadn't come here for him but rather to give only something back. "Your phone. It must have slipped out. I gathered it would be important so I brought it over." She said. James looked down to her hand where his phone was, he didn't make a move for it but muttered. "You're more important." Harper froze, not quite taking in what he said instead she pushed her hand forward until James took it out her hand slowly. Even the slight touch of his hand brushing against hers sent a shiver running across her spine. Her cheeks were betraying her as they flashed only red, she stepped back to turn on her feet when James called out. "I meant...what I said. I will change." Harper didn't dare look back but headed forward straight for a car. It was only till James remained on the doorstep he noticed the same guy from last night at the wheel smiling as Harper got in. He gritted his teeth slamming the door after him watching as Manny approached him. "Sir, everything okay?"

"Yes." He snapped, heading for his liquor cabinet.

~~~

By Monday, James had drowned himself away with alcohol and didn't bother in work at all at the weekend. Walking into his office, he was shaved fresh and any traces of alcohol was out of his system by the time he woke up that morning. Sitting at his desk, upon his computer he had piles of attachments that he yet to do. Harper wouldn't be in till eight but there was the chance she wouldn't even bother he thought. To distract his mind, he got in with his own work what he should have been doing in the first place; his business wouldn't just work on its own.

Harper entered the lift, her palms feeling rather sweaty as she rubbed them against the side of the skirt. It was hard all weekend, the restless nights and the countless times she had cried at any moment she had alone to herself. Saturday she didn't know what she doing, she had gone to him and that just made it worse. Elliot had however offered to take her out go out which she agreed to that Saturday, she had thought as well, she had thought she had heard him say she was important but that was probably her ears playing tricks upon her. The lift doors soon opened instantly making her regret her decision to come in though she headed over to her desk and soon sat down. That whole morning James had not shown his face which was great for Harper so she kept on with her work but every flinch she heard instantly turned her attention to the corridor to see if he was coming.

Nothing, not even by lunch did he come out. Harper was getting worried and betraying her motive to stay away instead of going to lunch she headed for his office. Knocking on the door she waited until nothing was said. She began to turn on her heel then shook her head as she opened the door anyway. James was typing upon his computer, his eyes flickered up to Harper that he stopped what he was doing.

"I didn't think you would come in." He said. Harper bit her lip before muttering. "I'm your PA and I still need a job. I just came to see if you were okay." James cocked his eyebrow. "You did?" Harper nodded. "You hadn't asked for coffee or any work you wanted me to do and its lunch." James soon deflated. "Oh." He said before returning to type.

Harper frowned. "Sir, would you like me to grab a lunch for you?" James looked up still typing. "I'm not hungry. Just go take your break." Harper parted her lips to differ but did as she was told and headed for the door. James watched her as she exited the room, instantly dreading as he let her leave his presence.

Near the end of the day, Harper was just packing up ready to go when James finally made a entrance. He began walking over to her but soon halted in the middle of the corridor as he noticed the same guy exiting from the lifts heading over to Harper. He froze still near the wall hidden and overheard their conversation.

"Hey Clumsy." He smiled. James waited as he heard Harper say back. "Elliot, what you doing up here?" So that was his name, James thought. Elliot who he saw walk closer to her desk. "Came to see you of course. Walk you out. What man would I be if I didn't walk a lady out?" Harper laughed causing James to flinch.

"Okay, okay. Just let me turn my computer off." She said. James heard movement before seeing them head to the lift. Elliot he saw moved his arm over her shoulder. "Come on my girl." James clenched his fists watching as Harper giggled. "Cheeky." She put in. James moved off the wall heading straight back to his office as he threw off his tie off onto the floor. How dare he say his girl, he thought dialling a number into his phone.

It only took one ring when the phone was picked up.

"Get me information on employee Elliot. Blonde hair, medium built." He demanded. "I want every last detail." He then slammed down the phone and sat down in a huff.

His girl, no f**king way. No way.

Thanks for reading. Hoped you liked this chapter. Sorry for slow update. So Elliot? James doesn't seem too pleased about. And how I enjoyed breaking apart Harper and James after their intense session? NOT. Writing James' character annoys me cause he just won't admit his true feelings and what does he expect if Harper is going to move on.

Please VOTE, COMMENT and FOLLOW for more updates. And thank you again.

VAMPIREFANGSRULES xxx