"Do you mind?"

"Not at all! I mean it's your book, you wrote it."

"Well it's your book, you bought it." 

He took out a gold glittery pen and wrote on the inside of the hardcover. He wrote quickly and sharply. He furrowed his eyebrows, not like there's much to think hard about, you're simply signing a book.

"There you go!" He closed the cover 

"Thank..you..."

"Oh, here I'll put it back!" He fumbled with the book and finally slid it back on the shelf. He walked sheepishly back to his seat and unwrapped the muffin tin. 

"I really enjoy that book." 

"Huh? Oh, yeah." he chuckled "I figured. The pages are warn and the color of the binding is faded." 

I blushed, someone who notices little details without being prompted... I need to be careful. 

"Your espresso is ready." I quickly changed the topic 

"Thank you, I'm sure it's going to be delicious." 

I nodded and handed him the demitasse cup with his name on it. 

He took the whole cup with one hand, wiping the name off by accident. 

Patrons of Gravity Falls... where the hell are you?

I wiped down the counter, "I really enjoy your characters. I feel as if I know them." 

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah... Are they inspired by real people? Or are they completely made up?"

He blew on the steam, "Half n' half."

"'Half n' half?', how do you write a half real half fictional character?"

"Well... You write the fictional character with aspects or qualities of the real person. And the product is a half n' half." 

"So the people you based them off, are they still around?"

He took a big sip to finish the espresso. Demitasse cups aren't meant to hold much anyway. I expected him to say something as soon as he swallowed. But instead he stayed quiet. He thought about it. 

"I hope they are. I feel like they are. But that can just be the 'hopeless romantic' side of me." 

"You don't know for sure?"

He shook his head 'no', staring into the empty cup. 

"Do you remember them?"

"Sort of. I remember what they sound like, and what they feel like."

"What about simpler things? Like their name?"

"Actually, I do." 

"So what's stopping you from searching for them?"

"Do you want to try searching for someone with a very common name?"

"I guess searching for John Doe isn't exactly the easiest..." 

I could feel his emotion, almost as if it were a smoke, clouding my lungs, choking me. I needed to get away from it somehow... But in a way it was comforting. His sadness, longing, pain, and anger, I can feel it all. 

"W...well what if you tell me their name?" 

He looked up.

"I see a lot of people come and go. This is a pretty popular place-"

He looked around and laughed, "Really?"

I was embarrassed..."Well usually, some days are slow... But then there will be two people searching for John Doe. And it takes two to make a thing go right, right?"

He narrowed his eyes at me, and it made me uncomfortable, "How old are you?"

  "27." 

He narrowed them further, "You sure about that?"

"Yes..." I averted his gaze 

"Well anyway, you really promise to help?"

"Yes, of course."

He smirked, "Alright, but I'm only going to tell you once."

"Okay? Not like anyone is in here so..."

"Their name was-"

The door swung open and the chatter between a couple filled my ears.

What...

No...

Please tell me he heard them come in, and he'll tell me later, slip me a piece of paper, write me a message... please...

"Got it? You promised to look for them too, so don't let me down alright!" 

If I tell him the truth, maybe he'll be kind and tell me again, "Actually I-"

"Yo! Rehpic! Come up with any new concoctions lately?" One of them yelled as they both took off their shoes

Maybe I didn't hear the name because deep down I didn't want to. 

I turned to Mason, "Got it."