[1]

After the fourth lecture, Alec had it memorized. It boiled down to a single point though: he had to get a job this summer.

It wasn't about the money-- no, the Lightwoods were loaded. So much so that they were staying at a seaside cottage for the entire summer in one of the most expensive towns in America.

It was a beautiful Victorian cottage, nestled between two other equally beautiful (and equally overpriced) cottages, with a stunning view of the Gulf of Mexico. From the highest balcony, you could occasionally catch a glimpse of a shark. Or a dolphin. Alec didn't really know the difference between fins.

But he did know the cost of the house: $884 per night.

So he definitely didn't need the money. He had a healthy trust fund that was waiting for him. But his dad wanted to teach him a few lessons.

"--be a man--"

"--providing for a family--"

"--experience--"

"--college applications--"

Alec got the point. He got it when he was putting all the money from his lemonade stand into a savings account at the age of five. Even though archery was the only aspect of Boy Scout camp he could manage, his father paid Alec's way through the ranks because "it would look good in the future." Every day of his life seemed to be a training course on how to successfully be an adult and an even more successful business man.

Alexander still felt far from college and farther from being an adult. He wasn't ready; his father had failed.

The fourth (and final) lecture happened just after dinner. His siblings were going down the beach but his father held him back on the porch, lecturing him as they ran into the waves with reckless abandon.

"I got it," Alec assured his doubtful father. "I'll get a job. I'll look tomorrow."

It was only partially lie.

............

Alec's eyes watched Jace's eyes not-so-subtly check out the girls passing by.

There seemed to be a rule in town that any clothes other than swimwear were prohibited. The tourists were in tacky t-shirts or bikinis; there was no in between.

"So job?" Jace asked, snapping back to their previous conversation.

"I don't even know how to find a job," Alec sighed.

"Just go inside and ask," Jace said.

"Ask where?"

Jace stopped in the doorway of a shop.

Inside, Alec could smell old books and lavender. It was heavenly.

"A book shop?"

Jace nodded.

"The worst they can do is say no."

"That sounds pretty bad actually," Alec said.

"Let me talk to them then," Jace said, stepping inside. Alec followed, hoping to stop Jace before he ended up enslaved in the tiny shop without thinking it through.

But he was already leaning on the counter, speaking to a woman hidden behind a pile of books, a smile plastered on his face.

Alec approached carefully.

Jace's games were always so unpredictable.

But Jace discreetly pulled him into the owner's line of sight.

"This is my brother, Alec," Jace said. Alec reached over the counter, shaking her hand.

"Your brother was telling me about how you boys are looking for work," the woman said. She had to be in her late thirties. A wedding band was shining in the Florida sun that leaked through the dusty window panes.

"I'm thinking about one of those boat rental places but Alec would just burn in the sun," Jace laughed.

Alec kept the light smile on his face despite the fact that Jace was poking fun at his paleness.

"Well, I'm looking for some extra help for tourist season," she said. "Are you interested?"

Alec hated saying it, but Jace had a charm about him that was all his own.

And he knew how to use it.