Chapter Three

"You want some cookies, America?" Mom asks sliding a plate full of different kinds of cookies. I nod a no and continue to play the piano.

It's been exactly 1 week since I left the palace and moved into this beautiful house that Maxon graciously let my family keep. Since my moving out, I've been doing nothing but taking care of May and Gerad, taking care of the house, and playing the piano that I found in my room upon my arrival.
Most of all however, I've been going outside to the beautiful garden in our back yard.

Mom told me when we arrive, that when they were bringing all their stuff from our old house to this house, she knew that talking me into entering the Selection was a great idea. I thought it was because it meant that we'd no longer be considered as fives but rather threes, but she told me it was because it let me have a new experience that any girl would have loved to have had. She also told me how proud she was to have such a brave girl as her daughter and that Dad was and would have been too. That one, I really needed.

"I like that song!" May says running into my room with a shy grin on her face. That makes me smile a little bit. I make some room on the bench so she can watch me play as well.

"What a beautiful song." Mom says with a smile as I finish the slow peaceful song on the piano. I can tell by the small tears in her eyes that she's thinking about Dad.

"Thanks. I um. wrote it myself." I say rubbing away, my own tears. May hugs me tight and I hug her back. I take a deep breath and start to play the song again.

After a couple more minutes of my playing, Kenna walks in too. "Anyone, want to go on a walk with me?"

I stop playing and see the brave smile on my older sister's face. I smile back and nod. "L.lets go."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I actually quite enjoyed the hike, I mean Kenna talked to me about all the good gossip that I missed when I was gone, and about how next Saturday Mom is planning a small little party for my return.

"We can even invite your friends from the Selection." She says with a grin.

"Really?" I ask with a smile. I look down at my pants and see what a mess I am. I can't help but laugh to myself how upset Silvia would be if she saw me like this.

"Yes! And you can even choose what we have for dessert!"

I can't help but laugh at that. Leave it to Kenna to make me feel better.

"You know..." She says with a sly little grin. "A lot of boys have been asking about you."

Of course they have. Once you're in the Selection, every guy suddenly gets interested in you. Well I'm not falling for their ignorant ways. If they really liked me, then why would Maxon and the others have been my very first friends?

"You're not interested. Are you?"

"Honestly..." I continue to look down at my pants and think about how I would probably be wearing a clean pair at the palace. I wonder... "I couldn't care less."

After what feels like forever, I see a couple of buildings coming up.
"Um, Kenna? Where are we going?"

"Just follow me."

I sigh and obey. As we walk into what looks like a campsite, I can see a bunch of men sharpening weapons. I try to stay close to Kenna as we walk. As I look around I notice that there's only men here, nothing like I've seen before. Opposed to the soldiers at the palace and the Northern Rebels, these guys are huge and look like they could kill you will their stares alone. I quickly look away trying not to draw even more attention.

After a while we get to a big hut. I gasp when I see what's on the door.