Chapter Eight

I hardly manage to get myself up out of bed this morning. Even the thought of having a boyfriend doesn’t seem to give me a boost. I turn off my ipod alarm and roll over, pulling the blankets back over my head. Five minutes later the next alarm goes off. I turn that one off too. Finally the third goes off and I know that it’s my last chance to be ready in time for the bus.

If I had my way then I would never even have to go to school. But unfortunately the world has a way of making teenager hood cruel.

I get to school and go straight to my locker. I dawdle putting my books away. I’m waiting for Benji to come so that I can say hi to him. Eventually all of my books are in my locker and I’m paranoid that people will start gossiping about me if I stay idle, so I close the door and head over to the Pack. Only two are currently there.

“Hi Lavina!” Tanya and Francis call.

“Hi,” I reply. “Hey, have either of you seen Benji this morning?” Francis instantly looks at the floor.

“No,” she mumbles.

“Hey, Tanya, what about you?” I ask, my spirits fading.

“Well, I was talking to him on facebook and he said that he was sick,” she says. “Why the sudden interest?” I decide it’s safe to tell them.

“He asked me out yesterday,” I say excitedly.

“Really, what did you say? Did you say yes?” Tanya babbles.

“Yes, I said yes,” I answer. Francis’ face instantly darkens.

“Excuse me,” she says, her voice seething slightly. “I need to do something.”

I wait until she walks out of hearing range, which isn’t far in the locker bay.

“What’s her problem?” I ask. Tanya simply shrugs her shoulders. Soon Chloe and Madallin arrive and Tanya instantly tells them my news. I’m slightly jealous that she’s telling them, but I’m also glad. I’m not sure that I would’ve been able to. The members of the pack are nice, but I’m still not completely confident around them yet.

Chloe’s happy to hear the news, but Madallin looks troubled. I’m wondering if it’s the same problem that Francis has.

“I need to talk to you,” I say softly while pulling at Madallin’s arm. We walk away from the others, just far enough so that they can’t hear anything.

“What’s up?” Madallin says without much enthusiasm.

“I know it may be none of my business, but what’s wrong with Francis?”

“You’re right, it is none of your business,” she says curtly and walks away, leaving me standing alone. I know that she said that because she might be protecting Francis, but her tone cuts me deep.

The bell for first class rings, giving me no more time to wonder about Francis’s and Madallin’s reactions.

For the rest of the day, neither Madallin or Francis speak to me. They have no wish to make contact and neither do I. I’m not going to bother with them if they’re not going to bother with me.

Tanya and Chloe are teasing me good-naturedly for most of the day about my new relationship. Because they’re talking to me, Francis and Madallin have stopped talking to them. I feel guilty, even though I can’t see how I’ve done anything wrong. The Pack was a loving, caring group of friends before I came into the circle. Why does disaster always follow me?

Before I go home at the end of the day, I ask Chloe to talk to Benji on Facebook for me. I want him at school with me. I see no reason why he shouldn’t be when he was the one who asked me. She agrees and hugs me for the millionth time.

“I feel so lucky,” I whisper. “He’s a nice guy.”

“A nice guy for a nice girl,” she whispers back. Unsure of what to say, I stay silent and just smile. She lets me go and smiles before walking off. I walk to the bus-stop feeling as if I’m walking on a cloud.