Chapter 1: The Family

Katy's POV: It was the middle of winter. I was outside living on the streets. I was only 6 years old. My family kicked me out of the house 1 year ago which I was grateful for. I got beat everyday. Now people gave me food out of sympathy. Right now I was on a bench outside of the local hospital. I was curled up in a ball trying to sleep. i closed my eyes and slowly drifted off. 

Mark's POV: I was walking out of the hospital because I had to talk to someone for a case. I work with the NCIS group at the MPD along with my brother-in-law and my son Louis. He is learning how to become one of us when he is home. We have my dad Leroy Jethro Tomlinson but we call him Gibbs. Then we have my cousin from my moms side Anthony DiNozzo. My other cousin Abby. Then the three other workers, Dr. Mallard or Ducky, Ziva David, and Timothy McGee or just McGee. As I was walking out I saw a little girl. She was dirty and had old clothes on. She was curled up on a bench shivering since it was the middle of winter. She looked only about 5 or 6. I watched her for a few more minutes but before I could do anything she sat up. She rubbed her eyes and started sneezing and coughing. I walked over to her. "Are you okay sweetie?" I asked her. She froze when she heard me talking. She slowly looked over. I looked in her eyes and saw that she had the most beautiful eyes ever. They were blue but I had seen them before. Then realization hit me. My sister had a son and a daughter but their daughter got lost in the hospital system and given to another family that had lost their baby. Those eyes were my sisters. This was my niece. "Oh my god." I whispered. "What's the matter sir?" She asked. "Nothing. I am going to take you inside to see if you are okay. Is that alright?" I asked. She nodded and stood up. She took one step and slipped on ice. I caught her before she hit the ground. "Thank you." She whispered. I picked her up so that she wouldn't slip again. I carried her inside. "Excuse me. I would like to get this little girl checked out to see if she is healthy. I found her outside." The lady nodded. "Name?" She asked. "What's your name honey?" I asked. She shrugged. "I was never told my name. I was always called brat." I looked at her shocked and so did the receptionist. "We need to get her tested to find out who she is." She said. She took us to a room and measured her and weighed her. She was 4'1 and 57 pounds. She was very small. "Do you know how old you are?" The lady asked in a nice voice as so not to scare her. "No. I don't know when my birthday is." She said. "Ma'am? Can I talk to you outside?" I asked. She nodded and followed me. I shut the door behind her. "I believe she is my niece." I told her. "And why do you think that?" She asked. I explained to her the situation of how my sister lost her daughter 6 years ago and how she had the same eyes. "Okay. Well can you call your sister here to get a DNA test?" She asked. I nodded and she went back into the room to keep her company. I called my sister and she said she would be right over. When she got here she had her husband bobby and her son Niall. "We need to go in here. Just a warning we don't know for sure if this is her so don't get your hopes up." I opened the door and brought her in. "Hi sweetie. These are some friends of mine. They are going to help figure out who you are and how old you are. Okay?" I asked. She nodded and I stood up. "So how are we going to do this?" I asked the nurse. "Well I will take a blood sample for both of them and then I will run it through the system and see if anything is a match." I nodded. She brought out the needle and the little girl started shaking and crying. I went to step up but Niall stepped up instead. "Hey. It's okay. I used to be afraid of needles too." He told her. "Really?" She said. "Yeah. Do you want me to hold your hand while she takes your blood?" He asked. She nodded and he grabbed her hand. "The nurse cleaned her arm and slowly put the needle in. She gripped Niall's hand but I could tell it didn't hurt him. He may have only been 17 but he was pretty strong. The nurse was done with her and moved onto Maura. I watched Niall with the little one. He was really good with her. She was still crying from the needle and he wiped her tears and made her laugh. He was tickling her and making her feel better. She had the biggest smile on his face and so did he. Then she started coughing and he got all protective. I hope for her sake and his that this is a match. The nurse came back a few minutes later. "I have the results and they were a match. This is your daughter. Her name is Katy Jo. She is six years old. Born on January 15th 2005. 4'1 and 57 pounds. I have also found that she is allergic to bananas. Good luck." She smiled, gave Maura the information and left the room. I watched Niall pick Katy up and spin her around. He hugged her and she hugged back. He held her on his hip and she laid her head down on his shoulder. We walked out of the hospital and got into their car since I walked here. I looked at Niall and Katy and he was holding her in his lap. She had her head laying on his chest and she had fallen asleep. I smiled and looked back out the window. 

Niall's POV: I looked down and saw that Katy had fallen asleep. We were heading back to the family family house. That had my aunt, uncles, cousin, grandpa, and my family. We had a lot of rooms. It was right next to the MPD which is where most of my family worked. "Hey mom. Call everyone and tell them to gather in the livingroom. Tell them we have a surprise for them." I told her. She nodded and took out her phone. We had a room ready for Katy and no one ever used it. We had clothes in there that would fit her because my mom was always buying new clothes because she never lost hope. We pulled up outside of the house and I picked Katy up bridal style. She stirred and opened her eyes. "Hey princess. Have a good nap?" I asked. She nodded and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. I switched her to my hip and started to walk towards the door. I stopped so that I could tell her something. "When we go inside you're going to meet the rest of our family. But I wanted to tell you that there are a lot of us. So do you want me to hold you?" I asked her. She nodded and laid her head on my shoulder. I smiled and opened the door. I walked in and shut the door behind me. "Are you ready?" I asked her. She nodded. I slowly walked into the living room and everyone went dead silent. My mom and dad came to stand behind me. "I'm sure you all remember when we lost our baby girl to another family 6 years ago. Well we found her. this is Katy Jo." My mom explained. I watched as smiles spread on everyone's faces. I felt Katy put her face in my neck so that she could hide. I turned my head and kissed the top of hers. I quietly whispered in her ear "Hey. I think everyone wants to meet you. Do you want me to walk you around?" I asked. She nodded her head again. I can already tell she is going to be shy and timid like I am. I walked over to Louis first since Uncle Mark already met her. "hey baby girl. I'm your cousin Louis. I'm going to be the one to teach you how to have fun." She smiled at him. "That will be fun." She said quietly. Next I walked over to Uncle DiNozzo or Uncle D. "This is Uncle D." He smiled at her and she smiled back. "I'm going to teach you how to do things and get away with it." I laughed and shook my head. "Don't Uncle D. You're not very good at it." He looked at me and shook his head. I walked over to Aunt Abby and Grandpa Gibbs. "This is Grandpa Gibbs and Aunt Abby." She looked at Grandpa and smiled but then she looked at Aunt Abby and her eyes got wide. I looked at Aunt Abby and realized why she was scared. It was because of what she was wearing. "Hey. It's okay princess. She always wears things like that. It's nothing to be afraid of." I told her. She nodded. "Hi sweetie. I'm sorry if I scared you." Aunt Abby told her. She nodded. "It's okay. I'm just not used to things like that yet." She told her. grandpa walked up a little bit. "Hey there. I'm going to be teaching you how to defend yourself." She nodded. "Alright. Well that's everyone for now. Do you want to go upstairs and get a bath so you can go to sleep?" I asked her. She nodded. I started to walk up the stairs and towards the end of the hall. I opened the door right next to mine. "This is your room. Mine is right next door if you ever need anything." I set her on the bed and went over to the closet. I picked out a pair of kitten pajama pants and the matching shirt. I picked her up again and went to the bathroom across the hall. I warmed up the water and filled the tub. I undressed Katy and put her in. I washed her hair which was a light brown at the top and as you went down it went blonde. Her hair went down to her shoulders. I rinsed that out and washed her body with a washcloth. I rinsed her off and drained the tub. I wrapped her up in a towel. I dried her off and put her clothes on. I dried her hair and brushed it out. I picked her up and put her on my hip. "Do you want to go say goodnight to mom and dad?" I asked her. "Yes please." She said. I walked down stairs and walked over to mom and dad. "We wanted to say goodnight." I told them. I gave mom a kiss on the cheek and gave dad a side hug. I set Katy down so that she could say goodnight. She walked over to mom and hugged her legs since she was still really short. 'Night mommy." She said in a quiet voice. She moved on to dad and did she same thing. "Night daddy." She walked over to me and grabbed my hand. I walked up the stairs with her but half way up I looked back at mom and she was smiling with tears in her eyes. She nodded and I kept going. I led Katy to her room. She jumped up into her bed and I walked over. I pulled the covers over her so that she would be warm. I kissed her head. "Goodnight princess. Just remember that I am right next door if you need anything." She nodded. As I was walking towards the door I heard her say "Night bubby. I love you." I smiled and turned around at the door. "I love you too princess." I turned around and shut the door. I went to my room and fell on my bed. I smiled to myself before I fell asleep. I finally have my baby sister back.