Chapter 17

It's the following Monday. At 9am. But this time Eliza wants to be up. She's ready to sign the papers. The papers that give Mr. And Mrs. Reynolds (or Mark and Emma as they want Eliza to call them) legal guardianship of Eliza. She cant help but think I never thought I would be moving in with Cian , I mean my boyfriend in the future, until I was atleast 20 not 13.
Eliza couldn't help but laugh at herself. In one way it was a dream come true and in another way it was her worst nightmare.
"Emma, Mark. I was wondering if we could maybe visit mom after this?" Eliza asked in a happy way trying to mask her sadness while thinking of her mother. "Of course we can sweetie, let Mary know you're in good hands. Maybe afterwards we can go to a restaurant?" Replied Emma kindly. "That would be lovely" said Eliza very gratefully.

Eliza has done it. Emma and Mark are now her legal guardians. She's in the cemetery now. "Hi mom" Eliza said as cheerful as possible considering the circumstances as she was approaching her mother's grave. "I told you I'd come back and visit. I've also come to tell you that Emma and Mark and Cian have been kind enough to let me live with them. Emma and Mark are my legal guardians now. We were on to Dad. He wasn't able to take me. Wasn't that kind of Emma and Mark?" Eliza was happy to talk to her mother even though there was no response. "Mary I just want to let you know that she's in good hands. We'll look after her like she was our own. I guess in a way she is" Emma felt relieved after saying this. It was like getting an appoval from Mary. "Eliza, Cian, I'm going to go pay my respects to my father. I'll leave you here with Mary". Emma's happy look fell when she said this but she hid it well.
Cian was proud of Eliza. Everything she has gone through in the last week is more than some people do in ten years. She was strong.
Eliza took Cian's hand. "Oh and mom," Eliza began " what do you think of me and Cian?" she raised her hand wrapped around Cian's and put it back down. As if like magic a butterfly flew past. Her mother's favourite animal in her favourite colour. It landed on their and stayed there for a couple of seconds and then went and rested on her mother's headstone. It was if her mother was approving. Eliza smiled at Cian. She new things would be ok now. Emma and Mark came back and told them it was time to go. "Bye mom. I'll be back after mass on Sunday. I promise" Eliza blew a kiss and started to walk away holding Cian's hand. She turned and looked at the gravestone. A tear slid down her cheek. She leaned her head on Cian's shoulder and they silently walked back to the car.