Chapter 12

The Funeral
Eliza went to the front of the church and sat down. Cian was beside her followed by Mr. And Mrs. Reynolds. The priest came out and the service started. Eliza couldn't focus. She just stared at the casket. She was waiting for the time when her mother would jump out of the casket and ask what was going. But she wont. It still seemed surreal to Eliza. She was so focused she didn't realise it when it was her turn to speak. Cian had to tell her. She asked Cian to come up to the altar with her for support. They both walked up to the altar hand in hand. Eliza began. "Thank you everyone for coming. It means alot to me that you are here to -to s-ee my m-mother off-f" her voice began to tremble. She was determine not to cry. She continued "My m-mother was a v-very kind and c-caring p-person and n-now she's g-gone" the tears began to slide down her cheek. "My mo-mother s-said ev-evry d-day how mu-much sh-she l-l-loved me-e" she couldn't help it, she broke down. Tears streaming down her face she turned to Cian and buried her face in his chest. He continued the speech for her. "Ms. Costello or Mary as some of you would know her by would go out of her way to make sure you were happy in her home. I'm very grateful for how she treated me and I'm sure others are too. She was a good woman and will forever be in our hearts. May she Rest In Peace" Cian said while comforting Eliza. "Amen" was everyone's response.
When it was time to carry out the casket at the end of the service Eliza took Cian's hand and they went ahead.
When they got to the headstone there was already people there. As the casket was lowered into the ground someone handed Eliza a red rose. She threw it on top of the casket and then layed her head against Cian's chest while watching the casket reach the bottom. As they started putting the soil over the casket, people started to leave. Eliza stayed and watched with Cian. When they were done Eliza took each bouquet of flowers given to her mother and layed then decoratively around the headstone. She promised her mother she would come back soon and visited. With that Eliza and Cian headed for the car.