Chapter 17: Emergency

- 12 Weeks Old -

I held my boob to Braxtons mouth and he turned away again, "Come on, dude." I gasped, "Eat!" I was exhausted. All the last week I had spent taking care of both the babies full time and realized how much I had taken for granted. I missed Justin too. He was gone before I woke up and home after I went to bed.

Finally, he latched and I dropped my head to the back of the couch. I closed my eyes and my phone chose that moment to blare out. Justin had set his ringtone as something different so I knew it was him. I answered and pressed the phone to my ear.

"These kids will be the death of me, Justin." I heard a siren on the other end of the phone and then static. I sat up straight, "Justin?"

"Serrina?" My heart started to race.

"Who is this?" Braxton unlatched but I didn't care, "Where's Justin?"

The person on the other end of the line mumbled something and then another person was holding the phone, "Serrina? It's Scooter."

Gabby walked into the room so I stood up. She looked at me like I was insane, "What's going on?" Then she tucked him onto her arms and frowned at me.

"Theres been an accident," He mumbled and suddenly I felt sick to my stomach. No, not him too. "He's on his way to the hospital. You should meet us there."

I nodded quickly, "I'm on my way." Tears were bubbling in my eyes and my hands were shaking so badly that I could barely hit the end button on my phone.

Gabby was watching me with wide eyes, "Is everything okay?"

I didn't respond for a second, too busy trying to text my mom about what was happening. I needed her to come watch the babies because there was no way in hell I was taking them to the hospital. Bad things happened in hospitals and I wasn't about to risk my kids.

"Serrina, what happened?" Gabby snapped again.

My mom texted back that she would be over soon and I sighed, "Justin's in the hospital. I have to go." I tucked my breast back into my bra and stood up handing her Braxton. She obviously had questions but I wasn't waiting around to answer them. I grabbed one of Justin's hoodies off the couch and pulled it over my head, not wanting to waste time searching for a bra, "Can you watch them for a little bit? My mom is on her way over but I have to go."

"Is he okay?" She was just as flustered as I was but I didn't care.

"I don't know. I'll call when I know something." I gave Braxton a kiss on the forehead and then ran out to my car. The last thing I should be doing is driving in my state, but I needed to get to the hospital. I needed to know if he was okay. I needed to see him.

As much as I wanted to speed and get there faster, I also didn't want to be arriving in an ambulance, so I kept myself at the speed limit and made it there in just over 10 minutes.

I didn't have time to pay for parking so instead, I left a receipt on my dash, hoping it would fool people. As I ran into the building I called Scooter. He answered on the first ring.

"Fourth floor. I'll come to the elevator," he didn't say anything else to me before hanging up. As I approached the elevator and pressed the button to call it, I read the sign. The fourth floor contained the ICU and operating rooms. 

My legs were wobbly by the time the elevator finally opened and I pressed the button that had the number 4. The ride seemed to take forever but eventually, the doors slid open and I found myself face to face with Scooter. He opened his arms for me and I bowed into them, wrapping my arms around his back.

"What happened?" I whispered into his shoulder as he rubbed my back.

He didn't reply for a few seconds, probably hoping I would stop shaking, but that wasn't going to happen. Finally he spoke, "A speaker fell on him. They think he's got internal bleeding and a bunch of broken ribs."

My bottom lip began to quiver, "Can I see him?" I took a step back and saw the look on his face, "Scott, I want to see him." I used his real name to show my desperation.

He licked his lips then shook his head, "You should talk to his doctor."

I knew there was something he wasn't telling me but decided it was best not to nag. I follow him into the waiting room and spotted a crowd of familiar faces, all of whom wouldn't make eye contact with me. Scooter somehow found the doctor while I was gawking at everybody around the lobby.

He was an older guy, in his 50's with grey hair and a handlebar moustache. He was really tall, "Who's this?" He asked Scooter, "No fans allowed on this floor. I don't care how special she is."

That made my anger bubble past my fear and I held up my hand to show him my engagement ring, "Im Justin's fiancee. I want to see him."My tears were gone, at least for now.

"No," He looked down at a clipboard like my request had been for a teddy bear, not my soul mate.

"I want to see him," I said again.

"And I said no. He's not stable and I can't have people watching my doctors as we work on him." He was about to walk away from me but paused, "Get in contact with his parents and I can take him into surgery."

I looked at Scooter, "Why haven't you said yes?" 

He sighed, "We paused our contract when he went on his break. Its not officially processed yet so I can't sign for him." I was so mad. It made me want to kick him, but I held back.

"Can I sign?" I was looking back to the doctor again.

He sighed, "How old are you?" He almost looked annoyed.

"Im 16." I tugged on my sleeve a little then felt a hand touch my lower back, spinning around. My breath caught in my throat and I threw my arms around her neck. Her hands wrapped up and gripped my shoulders.

Scooter let out a sigh of relief, "This is his mom. Get the papers." I heard him say to the doctor.

"He's going to be okay," Pattie whispered into my ear, rubbing my back reassuringly.

I quickly nodded, "I know. He always is." I let her take a step back to sign the papers and then the doctor explained what would happen. 

Apparently, blood was pooling around his heart and they had a tube in his chest to temporarily drain it. His left lung kept collapsing so they had to intubate him. The surgery would be a thoracotomy, where they would cut open his chest and repair all the bleeding vessels. Best case, he would wake up with no deficits and be able to leave the hospital in a few days. Worst case, he would die on the table. The way the doctor spoke didn't make me feel optimistic.

We moved into the waiting room and sat down. I buried my face in the fabric that covered my chest because it smelt like him. I closed my eyes and for the first time in my life, I prayed. I pleaded to God to save him, to make sure he came out alive. I reminded him that he had taken my daughter, he couldn't take Justin too.

I knew Pattie was praying because she had on hand clutched to mine and the other folded neatly in her lap. She was hanging her head and breathing slowly.

We waited and waited, hoping that we would get news.

My mom always told me that during surgery, any news in good news. If there was news, then the patient was still alive. 

It wasn't until I heard the chorus of feet shuffling and people standing that I looked up and jumped out of my seat. Pattie followed and we walked up to the doctor, who was removing his scrub cap and crossing his arms.

"Is he okay?" I began then realized that everything about my life relied on what this man said next. I gripped to Patties hand harder than I thought humanly possible.

The doctor sighed, "He's alive." My heart pulsed in my ears at the good news, " We repaired as much damage as we could but theres still some bleeding. It should stop in a few days so until then we need to keep him here. Other than that and 5 broken ribs, he should heal well."

I nodded, "So he's not going to die?"

He chuckled, "Not under my watch."

Emotions overwhelmed me and I began to cry.