There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (13)

Start from the beginning

"You mean the scum of the earth?"

My thoughts were cut off by my grandmother, and I only blinked in surprised. She loved Dallas!

"Grandma?" I asked now, unsure if she was losing her hearing or something. "Did you hear me right? Dallas is here."

"I heard you perfectly fine. The jerk that left you is there?"

Ah, I understood now. Even though she had loved Dallas when we were little, she obviously grew out of it after he had ditched me at his prom. I didn't really blame her, but she had to know that Dallas hadn't meant to do that and that he knew it was a mistake...

"He apologized, Grandma," I told her, sitting down on a tree stump. "He's one of the camp counselors here, and he almost looks the exact same. He's still tall and handsome and everything. If only you could see him, Grandma. It's just like when we were kids; just like it was four years ago."

"Except four years ago he didn't break your heart."

"It's fine," I sighed, waving a hand in front of my face. "He told me that it was a mistake. Don't you remember how much you loved Dallas when we were little? He's still the same old guy. He's still sweet and funny, and nothing's really changed. He's--"

"Well, I'm not about to trust him just yet," my grandmother informed me moodily. "He'll have to gain my trust back. Why can't you just be with a good boy like Jesse?"

I remembered what Jesse had said to Marnie, about how he was a bad guy, and I found myself frowning.

"I have to go, Grandma. I'll talk to you later, okay? Love you."

"Love you, too, Jordan."

After closing my phone, I let out a long sigh and got up from the tree stump.

I continued on walking, getting more and more tired with every step I took. I knew that I shouldn't have gone out on a walk, but it was too late now. I was pretty far away from my cabin. I was by the main office and the dock, which was farthest away from Cabin C.

Last time I ever take a walk to get rid of my worries.

Ever.

I immediately regretted walking around the camp barefoot (at night, which makes it ten times better) when I pretty much sliced my foot open on who knows what.

Okay, maybe not sliced, but it was a pretty big cut. I wasn't sure how deep it was, but it hurt like hell and I could barely walk on it. I let out an irritated groan as I tried to think of what to do, and I remembered that Erica had said something about a first aid kit being in the main office somewhere.

So I hopped to the main office, and I was lucky that I was only a few feet away when I cut my foot, because I knew if I had to hop anymore, I was going to fall down.

When I hopped to the front desk, the secretary glared at me. I noticed that this wasn't the normal secretary, but it was a fill-in. I heard Andi, the actual secretary, was out sick. Now how lucky was I? I got the mean, grumpy secretary when my foot felt like it was going to fall off.

Okay, not really, but you get what I mean.

Her eyes narrowed as I leaned against the desk to supported myself. "Is there something you need?"

"First aid kit," I answered, doing my best not to fall over. I didn't know how badly I was bleeding, but I wasn't about to look at my foot. Even though I wasn't afraid of it or anything, I still didn't like to look at blood. It was just so gross to look at.

"Here," the mean secretary said, her nose wrinkling as she pushed the box toward me. "Go do it outside. Don't get any blood on the carpet. Now hurry, shoo, shoo. Your curfew's in a half an hour, and you don't want me to have to get you in trouble."