Chapter Twelve

"But we have to save Will!" Elizabeth protested, throwing the blanket she had been given off her shoulders and strutting toward her father and the Commodore.

Governor Swann turned. "No, you're safe now. The boy's fate is regrettable, but so was his decision to engage in piracy."

Elizabeth stamped her foot. "To rescue me!" She cried. "To prevent anything from happening to me!"

Jack stepped forward, waving off the officers who flanked him. "If I may be so bold as to interject my professional opinion," He said. I watched him from my position, a guard on each side. I had also engaged in piracy. I was to be hung, right beside Jack. No one had said anything about me yet, but I wasn't stupid.

"The Black Pearl was nearly in scuppers at the end of the battle," Jack continued. "I doubt she'd be making good time. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate! How can you pass that up?" He asked Norrington, a smile on his face.

Commodore stared at Jack coldly. "By remembering that I serve others, Mr. Sparrow, and not just myself." He began to climb the stairs to the helm.

"Please, James!" Elizabeth begged. "Do it for me! As a wedding gift!"

I stared at her, as did the rest of the people nearby. "Elizabeth, are you nuts?" I hissed, struggling in the soldiers' arms behind me.

Norrington gazed down at her, his lips slightly parted, and the Governor's jaw dropped. "Are you accepting the Commodore's proposal, Elizabeth?" He asked her, dumbstruck.

"I am," She breathed, not tearing away her eyes from Norrington's.

"Weddings!" Jack exclaimed. "I love weddings! Drinks all around!" At Norrington's face Jack winced and held up his hands, his wrists pressed together. "I know," He sighed. "Clap 'em in irons, right?"

The Commodore seemed to regain his composure. "Mr. Sparrow." He said, and Jack looked up. "You will accompany these fine men to the helm and provide them with a bearing to Isle de Muerta. You will then spend the rest of the voyage contemplating all the possible meanings of the phrase silent as the grave. Do I make myself clear?" Norrington finished.

Jack swayed slightly. "Inescapably, clear." He said, and was jerked forward by his pair of officers.

I didn't move, just stood where I was and listened. "Commodore, I really must question the wisdom of this," The governor protested to Norrington. Elizabeth stood off to their left, watching the engagement, occasionally attempting to meet my gaze.

Norrington sighed. "With all due respect, Governor, William Turner is a subject of the British crown and therefore under my protection." He said. He sounded very reluctant, I noted.

The governor looked away, then back again. "Take care of her?" He said, and handed Elizabeth off to Norrington.

I struggled a bit more and asked defiantly, "And me, Commodore?"

Norrington turned his gaze to me, thinking for a moment. "She can accompany Mr. Sparrow." He told the guards behind me, and I mentally sighed in relief. They clapped cuffs around my wrists and released me.

I threw my hair back and wished I could tie it up. As it nearly reaches my hips, it can get very tedious. My hair-tie was with the rest of my effect, which was probably in the same place Jack's was. Where was Jack's? I didn't know that either.

I walked to the railing and stared over the water. My mind drifted to the ridiculous boat ride that we had taken to the Dauntless. After retrieving our items from the beach, and Jack and I reassembling our outfits, the little dinghies had arrived and floated us out to the huge ship.