Chapter Three

The Navy charged in and apprehended Jack, holding his limp form between them. I felt a tad sympathetic. 

"Thank you, Mr. Brown," Commodore told him with a smile. "You've assisted in the capture of a dangerous criminal."

"Just doing my civic duties, sir," He slurred.

Will and I glanced at each other but said nothing, even though several Chinese curses were on the tip of my tongue.

The Navy escorted Jack away, presumably to prison, where he would await the noose. I felt like protesting against this, still, but he had threatened Will...

That night, I was busy pacing my in bedroom while having a heated argument with myself. 

There was a pirate sitting in the jail that had saved Elizabeth from drowning. He had also threatened her life and Will's and mine but -- I do that to people on a daily basis, so I suppose I could over look that. Laughing to myself I threw myself into my bed and pulled the covers up, humming and trying to calm my mind's endless stream of thoughts. 

It's not fair. I realized why I was so upset over the whole thing. 

Finally, I kicked off my covers and dressed in my usual tomboyish garb. By the moon's place in the sky I determined it was a little past midnight. 

I climbed out my window and took a deep breath of the thick night air. It was a relief to be out from under the roof, free from the vibrations of Will's hammer. He often worked late into the night, now that Mr. Brown refused to help.

I walked aimlessly, lost in thought. Elizabeth's necklace, I wondered. Jack seemed almost...frightened by it. Why would he be frightened? And where would Elizabeth get a pirate medallion?

I amused myself with the thought that Elizabeth was secretly a pirate. Ha, William would lose it. 

I stopped walking, realizing that I was at the beach, the water lapping at my leather boots. I sat down and slipped my boots off, sticking my toes into the warm, Caribbean water. I've always been drawn to the ocean. Maybe that's why I admired pirates so much. They live on the sea...

I stared off into the distance. The water was unnaturally calm, and it unnerved me.

I recalled that big vibration from earlier. What had that been? It had occurred after Elizabeth fell into the water. Perhaps it had to do with her? Or maybe it was nothing. Maybe a minor earthquake. They do happen. 

I squinted at the opening to the bay. Was that...

Oh. Oh, it is... I thought. There was a ship sailing into the harbor. And she was flying the...

Jolly Roger!? I thought frantically. More pirates? Had Jack brought them here?

She drifted slowly into the bay, and I studied her closer.

Those ripped, black, sails...there was no doubt. The Black Pearl had just sailed into Port Royal.

As if reading my thoughts, the Black Pearl began firing. I jumped up and stared as screams and cries began drifting in my direction, the cannonballs reaching their marks. I drew my sword as I saw a few boats drop down from the ship and begin to drift toward shore, cannonballs all the while whizzing toward the town.

I whirled around as a shot flew by me and crashed into the beach, exploding in a burst of sand and beach grass. Sprinting toward the civilization, I thought frantically. Will had probably already figured out that pirates were attacking, what with his dim view on them. He was probably out and about, attempting to help the townsfolk. Maybe, I would try and find him...

My questions were answered when I literally collided with Will. His cutlass was drawn, and he pointed it at me. Upon seeing who I was, he grabbed my hand and pulled me along. "What are you doing? It's past midnight!"

I snatched my hand away and hissed back, "To hell with the time! It's the Black Pearl, Will! It would be stupid to try and hide!"

His eyes widened as the first wave of pirates entered to square, screaming and yelling with excitement and glee. Will and I ran, glancing over our shoulders as the pirates began their pillaging.

"I'm fighting!" I yelled to Will, and then spun around, yelling curses in a mixture of Spanish and Chinese. He stared at me, and then followed, finding a spare pirate and beginning a lively fencing match.

I engaged with a pirate who was clutching a few grenades under his arms. He quickly lit one and tossed it at me, sheathing his sword and sprinting away, cackling madly.

I jumped backwards fearfully, and ran in the opposite direction. I heard screams behind me as the bomb went off. A crushing feeling of pity swelled in my stomach.

I caught a glimpse of Will, jumping out of the way as a pirate was knocked over by a broken sign, swinging precariously through the throng.

I stopped for a moment as the chaos seemed to halt around me. Is this a coincidence? What with the entire spectacle with the medallion, and Jack arriving out of nowhere...

Did the pirates want something more, besides our treasures and blood? The medallion? 

Elizabeth.

With this in mind I started for the governor's mansion, jumping over bodies and piles of rubble as the attack carried on. I did my best to drone out the screams and cries of innocent people who were being tortured as if they were damned already. It didn't work.

Finally, I arrived at the door, which had already been swung open. I heard a scream from inside and rushed in, jumping over the butler's body; there was a hole in his forehead, trickling blood.

I rushed up the stairs, where the sounds seemed to be coming from, and hurried around the corner, where I ran into Elizabeth and a maid, talking frantically.

"...then run to the fort as soon as you can!" Elizabeth was telling her sternly, but with an edge of fear in her voice. I cleared my throat and she spun around, letting the maid go. Her eyes widened at me, and then something over my shoulder.

Something hit me over the head, and the last thing I saw before everything went black was the medallion, winking at me as it swung from Elizabeth's neck.