Under The Acacia Tree (A Sequel: Part One)

Prologue

5th of March 2005

Dear Diary,

       Today, Jason told me that I was great. He even sealed it with a kiss! Is this the beginning of our story? Is this going to be a happy ending or just another once upon a time? Whatever it is, I can feel it now. I can really feel it. Things have changed for me. All I ever wanted was someone who likes to look at the stars just as much as I do. And maybe, just maybe, it's Jason. Maybe this time it's ours. I'm on my way to brighter days. I'm really on my way.

I. Breakeven

I was sitting under the acacia tree, reading my Stephenie Meyer, thinking about the vampire that would suck all the blood of the people in the universe for me to be alive. As I was daydreaming, Jason McKnight sat across me with his friends. He smiled at me as he took his seat. My cheeks turned red.

I'm in love with this guy since first grade. He has chestnut-brown, messy yet nice hair, almond-shaped eyes, and smooth and perfect lips. He was perfect. Everyday he would look like he just came out from a film. But today, he looked even more wonderful with those baggy shorts, white T-shirt, a black low-cut Converse sneakers, and an earring on his right ear.

Scarlett walks toward us, as if she's auditioning for America's Next Top Model. Scarlett is Jason's girlfriend. They've been together for over a year now, and trust me, I've moved on from this pain that they've caused me.

Scarlett looks pretty cool wearing a violet tube underneath an open white blouse, and hip huggers that hit right below her belly button. With her fair skin, silky black hair, she could do a commercial for a shampoo product. She walks over to me flashing her sex appeal smile and the tiny gap between her two front teeth.

When she saw Jason across me, her expression changed. She walks over to Jason, looked at him for like an eternity, and out of the blue, she slapped him. I was extremely blown away. This may not be the first time that they brawled publicly (yeah, I've witnessed like 20 fights between these two for the past months), but this is the first time that she did something physical to him.

People were starring at them now. His friends were frozen in their places, eyes widened.

"Scar! What was that for?" Jason asked Scarlett in shock.

"That's for lying to me! Enough is enough, Jason. We're over!"

And just like that, she walked away triumphantly and left Jason and his friends wondering and protesting.

But Jesus..

She didn't even shed a single tear!

If I was her, I'd be leaving crying my eyes out.

But not Scarlett.

Poor Jason.

He may have done something awful, but he still doesn't deserve that humiliation. Or maybe he deserved it? Because looking back at how furious Scarlett was, Jason may have done something pretty dreadful. But who knows, right?

I watched Jason and his friends retreating, and from that, something in me felt weird.

I know I must feel bad for Jason (okay, Scarlett too) for having his heart broken, but I cannot afford to lie to myself.

Somehow, I was happy.

II. Close To You

Months had passed, and Jason and I became closer than ever for three reasons. 1.) I was the one who was there for him during his sad days; 2.) He started going to church, and we would hang out after the masses, and 3.) He's in my music class.