Chapter 3 Change of Subject

We push through the front doors and climb the wide staircase to the second floor. The front walls of the school are solid glass, providing an unobstructed view of the gardens. They also create a soundboard for voices and laughter to bounce off of in a deafening barrage. Lisa and Colin go left at the top of the stairs to their first class, and I round the railing, heading right.

I spot Bryce leaning against the wall talking with his jock friends. He's wearing loose jeans and a faded navy T-shirt that makes his eyes look more blue than gray. His head turns, as if he senses me coming, and he directs his intoxicating smile my way.

I give him a quick smile in return and can't resist glancing over my shoulder after I pass. Bryce is watching me, still grinning, his dimples making my heart spin on its axis.

BAM. My head slams into something solid and a sharp pain shoots through my skull. I take an unsteady step back, my feet sliding out from under me, and I land ass-first on the floor.

Muffled giggles and all-out raucous laughter bombard me from all sides. My face is so hot I'm surprised I haven't spontaneously combusted. I inhale a quick breath and glare up at the offending classroom door.

A smooth, brown hand reaches down to me, and I squeeze my eyes shut, praying for the floor to open up and swallow me. But I'm never that lucky. With a heavy sigh, I lift my gaze to meet Bryce's, and I'm surprised to find sympathy in his eyes, not humor. I let him pull me up, his fingers lingering longer than necessary, making my pulse quicken.

"You gotta watch out for those doors, they've been known to kill people."

I actually giggle, something I would've thought impossible only seconds ago. "Thanks."

Bryce reaches out and tucks a curl behind my ear. The gesture is intimate and unexpected. "Are you okay?"

His eyes lock onto mine, sucking me in. I could drown on those babies. Being this close to him, his hand still holding mine, heats the air around me, and I struggle to keep my breathing even. My surroundings disappear and voices blur as I'm pulled into the vortex of Bryce.

I swallow hard. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just...embarrassed."

The continuous hum of voices around us halts and everything snaps back into focus. When I glimpse Alivia out of the corner of my eye, the lingering heat from Bryce's proximity freezes over. She stands with one hand on her bony hip and narrows her icy blue eyes at us.

My throat is dry and my voice comes out rough. "Your girlfriend looks massively pissed, though." I pull my hand back and duck under his arm, dashing down the hall to my first class before the daggers from her eyes can impale me.

I slip into my seat without looking around and snap my tablet into the docking station. Tears flood my eyes, blurring the display, and I'm thankful I decided to wear my hair down today. It creates an effective curtain for me to hide behind.

"Good morning students." My history teacher, Mr. Caldwell, enters the classroom seconds after the bell rings. "Everything on today's final was covered in class. If you paid attention and studied, you will pass. Click the 'Caldwell-History' app on your tablet and tap the 'Final' icon."

I do as instructed, temporarily restricting access to my other apps. After finishing ahead of most of my classmates, I press Submit, returning control of my tablet to me. I pull the tiny wireless ear buds out of my bag, pop them in, and launch my music app.

The music thrums in my ears, and my thoughts drift to the day I met Alivia. We were both eight, and I'd accompanied Joe to a photo shoot for his kids' clothing line. Alivia was one of the models on set, and we immediately clicked. For weeks I begged my parents to let me go to Moores Academy with her until they'd finally relented.