"What can I say.. I'm just the ugly duckling around here." Angela replied lightly, hoping to make a joke and ease the tense mood that had taken over the supernatural half of her family.

"You're beautiful." Max said to his daughter. "I'm sorry everyone you'll have to excuse my wife. She's tired and her back has been giving her trouble so she's on a new pain medication and I'm afraid it makes her say things that she wouldn't say normally."

Angela felt shame fill her. Her father was constantly coming to her mother's defense when she was high on perscription pills and Angela could tell that right now was one of those times. Angela hated knowing that Jake and his family would no doubt be able to smell what was really wrong with her mother. It had been something that Angela had worked hard to hide from everyone in her life for as long as she could remember.

"Come on you two I'll show you up to your room while Jake and Greg bring your bags in." Angela said quickly, hoping to usher her parents out before her mother had the chance to embarass her further. On cue Greg stood and followed Jake out to the car while Angela showed her parents upstairs.

"I'll just keep your mother up here and let her get a nap until dinner time." Max whispered to his daughter. "She'll be much more agreeable after she's rested some." Angela knew it wasn't the truth but she loved her father too much to disagree with him.

"Ok daddy. I'm so glad that you could come visit." Max kissed his daughters forehead and then closed the bedroom door. Angela didn't need werewolf hearing to hear the argument that started between her parents as soon as the door was closed.

She walked into the kitchen somehow managing to feel more ashamed. She could no longer hear her mother and father but she had no doubt that her family of werewolves would still be able to hear every word.

She sat down feeling very self conscious. "I'm sorry about them." she mumbled.

Jake and Greg walked back into the kitchen moments later. "We just left their bags in the hall. Seems they were having a little disagreement and we didn't want to interrupt." Greg said.

"I'm sorry I didn't warn you all about my mother. I guess I just hoped she would behave herself here."

(Why didn't you trust me enough to tell me about her drug problem?) Jake demanded softly so only Angela could hear. She saw everyone looking at her and felt her eyes filling with tears.

(Because it's embarrassing. I love my dad or else I wouldn't even have a thing to do with the woman.) she replied to Jake alone.

"Who the hell is fighting upstairs and why is Angela crying?" Kent asked walking into the kitchen.

"That would be Angela's mother and father.. They arrived a few minutes ago and her mother wasn't feeling well so they went upstairs to rest." Rebecca replied quickly.

"And Angela's not crying she has allergies." Bethany added, tossing her long golden hair over her shoulder.

Kent nodded slowly, clearly not believing either one of them. "Well I'm gonna go out for a run." he said. "Who wants to join me?" Greg, Raquel and Bethany all stood up.

Angela could feel Jake's urge to go but he stayed where he was. "Go Jake. I can tell you want to."

He shook his head. "I won't leave you like this." he stated, wiping away a stray tear as it rolled down her cheek.

"I'm fine." She assured him, amazed that she shivered with pleasure at the feel of his calloused thumb on her cheek given everything that was going on upstairs.

(I cannot leave you so upset.) he whispered in her head.

"She'll be fine, Jake. I'm here with her and Jordan and the twins will be home soon from school." Rebecca urged.