That's just stupid." Angela mumbled.

"He might be a werewolf but he's also a man and men are stupid." Bethany replied with a shrug that was somehow elegant. "Please don't tell Jake I told you all of this. I don't know if you know this but he has a terrible temper." With that Bethany left the room.

Angela finished unpacking and changed into a clean pair of blue jeans and pink t-shirt. She pulled her dark hair back into a ponytail and was about to go find Jake when someone knocked on the door.

She opened it with a smile expecting to see Jake standing there but frowned when she saw the man Jake had fought with in the kitchen instead.

"You're Lane aren't you?" she asked.

He shot her a toothy grin that she was sure would have charmed many women however she had seen the same grin on Tyler's face many times so it had the opposite effect on her.

"And you're Angela. The only person to ever bring out the softer side of my brother."

Angela looked at his blackened eye, scratched cheek and the blood stains seeping through his buttoned shirt where Jake had torn open his arm. "Doesn't look like he was very soft with you." she stated.

"It'll all heal in a few hours. Jake was blessed with the brute strength of the family. I got all the charm."

"I was about to go find Jake so if you'll excuse me..." Angela tried to push past Lane but he stood fast and she couldn't budge him.

"I wanted to talk to you about earlier." he informed her, suddenly seeming very serious.

Angela moved away from him and sat down on the edge of the bed. "What is it that you want to say?"

Lane walked into the room and sat in a rocking chair in the corner. "The kitchen was my fault." he admitted.

Angela was sure, judging by just how uncomfortable he looked doing so, that he didn't normally admit his fault in things however that didn't lessen her irritation with him. "I figured as much." she snapped.

Lane smiled. "Feisty one, huh?" When Angela simply shrugged, Lane sighed. "A long time ago Jake had a girl that he liked. More like a crush I guess you could say and I guess you could also say that I stole her from him. It wasn't anything too serious I never could stand to see Jake have something that I couldn't have."

Angela glared at him with contempt. "You poor baby."

Lane grinned at the snarl in her voice. "You've been around my brother too much." he said. "You're picking up his bad habit of growling every time he gets pissed off."

"Is there anything else you wanted to say?" Angela asked.

"Yes." Lane replied. "Down in the kitchen I may have said some inappropriate things to Jake about sharing you."

"Oh yes I can see that you got the charm."

"I'm sorry." Lane mumbled. " I don't say that very often. I usually live a no regrets kind of life style. But as you can tell by the current state of my face, you mean a lot to my brother. I've seen him mad at me before but he's never attacked me in such a dramatic fashion.

"I want my brother to be happy. He's had a hard life and deserves some happiness. You seem to give that to him and I hope I didn't screw things up. He seems to think that you'll be scared of him now and leave him. Please don't leave him just because I'm stupid."

Angela appreciated Lane's honesty even if she did think he was a spoiled little jerk. She could tell he didn't normally apologize and she had to respect him for doing this for his brother. "Thank you for being honest with me, Lane, and for apologizing. I have no intention of leaving Jake. As a matter of fact I was on my way to go talk to him."