Chapter 4 - The Rumors

Start from the beginning

Sirius sighed; he was in no mood for this. He'd been drinking last night and his headache was a monster one. Seeing his brother with a soon-to-be Death Eater did not improve it. "What do you want, Snivellus?"

"Oh, just wanted to have a friendly little chat." Snape twirled his wand almost lazily in his fingers, and Sirius wanted to growl in annoyance.

"Spit it out, Snape. I don't have all day."

"Where are your friends? Shouldn't they be here to protect you?" Snape's mouth twisted into a mocking smile.

Sirius straightened slightly. "Why do you care?"

"I wanted to deliver a message to all of you. Can you bring the message to them as well?" His voice now matched his condescending expression.

Sirius frowned. All his life, Snape had been a scrawny little boy with a hot temper. Now, Snape just seemed cold and indifferent. And superior. Sirius didn't like it one bit.

"What is it?" 

"Tell them that they had better watch their backs. They think they're on top of the world -- not anymore." Snape turned and headed the opposite way. Before following the older boy, Regulus Black looked back at his older brother. His gaze seemed apologetic. Before Sirius could say anything, Regulus turned his back as well. "And tell Potter to stay away from Evans! Or else!" Snape called over his shoulder.

Sirius groaned and rubbed his eyes in frustration. Why did his life have to suck?

He kept his brooding mood all the way down to the third floor until he quite literally ran into Marlene McKinnon. Marlene had been hurrying to the Heads' dormitory for important business. Of course she had to run into the last person she wanted to see -- and knock heads with him at that.

She groaned and rubbed her head. She didn't have time for this. She needed to find Lily, and fast.

"Sorry, McKinnon," said Sirius Black, hoisting himself up and holding out a hand to help her as well. Marlene merely gritted her teeth and stood up on her own.

"Sorry, Black, but I've gotta run. Things to do, and all that," she said, attempting to brush past him, but he stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.

"Listen, McKinnon..." Memories of last night flashed through both Gryffindors' minds, and they stared at one another for a moment before Marlene spoke.

"Black, I don't have time for this. Seriously." His eyes twinkled at her unintentional pun, and she huffed in frustration. "The party was wild last night, but it was just a party. I hope you remember that."

"McKinnon --" His voice took on a desperate tone.

"Just -- leave me alone. Please." She looked at him with pleading blue eyes, and he dropped his hand from her shoulder.

"Fine. Whatever." Sirius reassumed his I-don't-care expression, and pushed past her to breakfast.

Marlene didn't miss the hurt in his eyes.

***

Remus Lupin dragged his feet down to breakfast. He was starving, and he had a headache, and he felt like crap. The full moon was coming soon; he didn't need a calendar to figure that out.