Six

The week passes quickly, I spend almost every day watching TV and talking to Michael. One of the days I went out exploring the city. I bought a bunch of decoration for the apartment and some new clothes, including the dress I'm wearing tonight.

"Mikey, hand me another nail." I am currently standing on a stool, trying to hang up a photo. He floats up to my level and hands me a nail. I hammer it in and hang the photo on it. I take his hand and jump down, admiring the picture of a sunset on a beach.

"That's pretty sick," he says from behind me. I hear him sigh so I turn to look at him. "I wish I could see a beach like that. That would be on my bucket list if I was alive."

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you die?" I ask him cautiously. Sadness and pain clouds his eyes, taking his bottom lip between his teeth, he sighs again.

"I was poisoned," I gasp, beyond shocked at his words. "The girl I was dating and I thought we would be cool and badass and drop out of school and runaway. We ended up here, this is the apartment we shared. I thought we were going to be together forever, get married, have a family but I guess after a while she didn't think the same. I eventually found out she was cheating on me with the apartment owner, Ashton. The night I was going to confront her about it, she had made me dinner and apparently put something in my food.

"She watched me die. I just know she did. But things didn't go well on her end either, she did this to me to be with him but he didn't want to be with her. She was stupid enough to tell him what she did and he called the cops on her. She was serving life in prison but then tried to kill two other inmates so her punishment was raised to the electric chair." I don't realize I'm crying until a tear hits my hand. He rests his hand on my cheek, wiping the tears away with the swipe of his thumb.

"Michael I- I had no idea..."

"Don't worry though, I died in the parking lot, in my car, not in the apartment."

"How can you be all cheery and happy all the time though? The woman you loved cheated on you and then murdered you."

"Because I've moved on, I don't love her anymore. Once I found out she was cheating, I was disgusted and all of my feelings for her were lost." I nod, understanding. If something like that were to happen to me, I would feel the same.

"Is this why you didn't want me going out with Ashton?" He nods slowly, avoiding eye contact. "Mikey, he probably didn't know you were together, plus I'm not a-a-"

"A little evil witch?" I laugh and nod.

"Yeah, that," I walk over to the couch and sit down, flipping through the TV channels. "Do you miss being alive?"

"No, if I was still alive, I would probably still be with her."

"No, I mean if currently you were given the chance to come back to life, would you take it?"

"In a heartbeat, I defiantly would." He takes a seat beside me, looking straight into my eyes, his glowing with an emotion I don't recognize. A smirk spreads across his face and I can't help but smile. "I haven't exactly told you all of the abilities I have." I raise a brow at him, recalling a few days ago when I was asking him about what he has learned to do in the past five years.

"What haven't you told me?"

"I can make it so my touch and presence feel human, so I seem alive."

"All spirits can, dude." I roll my eyes and slouch in my seat. I recall all the times it seemed so real when my grandma or sister touched me but their skin was so cold. I begin to think what he meant by looking and feeling alive. My curiosity grows. I look back over at him and gasp at how much brighter his skin is, how glowing his eyes look, he just looks... Alive. "You-you look..."