Chapter 1

"Mira, you should go to the ball that the Prince is holding. Maybe if you get chosen to be his bride, you'll never have to work for the horrible woman ever again." Lisanna Strauss said smiling at her sister. "Lisanna, you don't understand. Madame Evergreen... If she found out, I wouldn't be the only one punished. I don't want you or Elfman to suffer and overwork yourselves. That's why I work."  Mirajane Strauss, the oldest of three siblings said frowning.

The white haired beauty was a servant, and she would never let her siblings work, since her mistress, Evergreen was cruel and most Masters were to their servants. "But Mira! He chooses his bride in a few days, and if he chose you, she couldn't punish you or else it would be like hurting the Prince himself!" Lisanna said encouraginly. "Nothing would prevent her from draggin you away and killing you though." She sighed looking out the window to see the rain falling from the sky.

Lisanna sighed and gave up trying to convince her sister. The ball invited all women twenty four to twenty seven, and Mira happened to be twenty five, turning twenty six in a few months.

Mira got up from the old wooden table, her clothing patched and ruined, and her hair was tied in a ponytail. "Mira, why do you always keep your hair up?" Lisanna asked sadly. "Madame Evergreen said that if I ever put it down, she'll punish me... I don't know why though."  She sighed and smiled cheerfully. "I have to go. I'll see you after work Lis." She said walking out the door with her tattered umbrella. The Strauss siblings lived in a very small one story house with no basement.

The Prince would never choose a girl like me to be his bride. I'm just a lowly servant who cleans feet every day. I wouldn't have anything to wear anyways. She sighed as she got to the huge mansion that belonged to Evergreen. I walked in through the back door and started cleaning. "MIRAJANE!" She shouted and Mira ran over to where her Mistress sat in the large living room with a green haired man she has seen so many times before. "Prepare us some tea and make it quick!" She barked her glasses glinting in the light and the white haired woman obeyed without question.

She came back a few minutes later with steaming hot tea and crumpets with sugar and cream and butter. "That took too long Mirajane, get it quicker next time!" She barked whipping the poor girl on the hands making her whimper. "Is that all Madame?" She asked trying to keep her voice equal. Evergreen huffed and continued talking with the man.

Mira ran to the servant's quarters and held her shaking hands shaking uncontrollably. "Poor thing. Evergreen is too hard on her..." One of the servants said looking at Mira in pity. There was a little gash from where the whip made contact with her hands and she washed it whimpering as it stung.

All that, and she only got paid twenty five dollars every two weeks. She had to manage how to use it well and buy food enough for the family. She never let her siblings work and go through what she does every day, and to get a little more money she works at a bar at night when her siblings are asleep.

She sighed going to make sure her Mistress had no needs. "MIRAJANE!" Evergreen shouted. Mira scurried over to her cruel mistress. "Yes Madame?"She asked politely and Evergreen twitched. She opened her mouth and the doorbell rung making her stop. "Madame, it is for Mirajane." She said and when Evergreen got up abruptly fuming, Mira's stomach plummeted to her toes. She scurried after her mistress. Mira gasped as she saw Lisanna standing there. She opened her mouth to talk. "How dare you come here to see this lowly servant? Do you not know that there are no visitors for the servants when work is to be done? Do you?! DO YOU?!" She shouted making Mira flinch.

Lisanna looked frightened but didn't move. She spotted her older sister. "Mira..." She couldn't finish her sentence because Evergreen slapped her. Mira gasped and Lisanna stood there with wide eyes. "I WAS TALKING TO YOU! NOW ANSWER ME!" She ordered and Mira was on the verge of tears. Lisanna stayed silent and Evergreen fumed. "You-" She didn't finish because the door rang again. Mira opened it holding back tears. A man wearing a knight's helmet walked in and Evergreen smiled. 

"Bixlow. It's been a long time." She said smiling and while she was distracted, Lisanna ran over to Mira. "Lisanna! I told you never to come here!" She scolded and Lisanna had tears falling from her eyes. "It's Elfman... He... He's sick Mira. He's really sick... He's going to die if he can't get treatment soon." She cried silently and Mira's eyes widened. "You have to let me work Mira..." She said and the oldest shook her head.  "Lisanna, I can't let you go through this... I'll work a night shift too." She said and Lisanna shook her head. "Mira, you have to let me do this! We won't be able to afford the treatment if you're the only one working! And... And you're going to get sick too if you work twenty-four hours. I don't want to be alone..." She said almost breaking down. Evergreen turned around and looked at us angry.

Mira pushed Lisanna behind herself protectively. Evergreen sighed noticing that her friend was looking strangely at her and she smiled. She walked over to Mira. "You'll get it later." She whispered and Mira suppressed a shiver as she got her sister out of the house. The man Bixlow was his name? He was very kind and asked for things kindly. He actually said thank you, which Mira was knew to hearing from rich people.

After he left, Mira's shift was over and she got paid for the two weeks. She raced back home as fast as she could and she accidentally bumped into someone and they both fell to the ground. She looked in front of her and gasped. Her dirt covered face even looked shocked as she saw the Prince standing up brushing off his clothes. Her heart started to race as he started walking off not noticing that he had dropped his golden pocket watch. Mira picked it up and ran after him. "Excuse me you're..." She was cut off by someone grabbing her arms making her squeal. The Prince turned around and looked a little irritated. They held her arms behind her back painfully and she struggled not to cry out as little shots of pain shot from her arms.

"She was attempting to steal your pocket watch, Sir!" One of them said loudly saluting the blonde man. "I bumped into her earlier, and I must've dropped it, she was simply trying to return it." He said calmly. The men released me and I stumbled forwards handing him the pocket watch.