Chapter 32: "Mom, Dad..."

Start from the beginning

"It's okay Hanna, just take deep breaths." Olive told me but I couldn't because I was telling my parents that their oldest daughter was a lesbian and in love with a world-known famous actress, yeah, I really couldn't breathe. The only person who could ever calm me down was Sophia. She was rubbing tiny circles on the top of my hand. Then the front door opened and my heart started beating faster.

"Mommy!" My sister screamed running towards my mom. She jumped into my mother’s embrace.

"Hey, why don't you go see who's in the dining room." As she told my sister that, my dad walked into the kitchen and kissed my mother.

"Good afternoon honey." He said, placing one arm around her waist, my parents were so in love it was beautiful.

"Hanna's here. She wants to talk to us after dinner." He nodded his head, pecked her cheek and walked towards the dining room. I picked up Jessie and sat her in my lap. My dad came behind me and kissed the top of my head, he messed Olive's hair up and gestured a small wave to Sophia. Then my dad took a seat at the end of the table. Food was already sitting on the table; I don't know how it got there though. My mom came into the dining room with a colossal smile on her face.

"Oh goodness, Matthew Austin Montgomery! Get your butt here young man." The sound of child feet came down the hall. My mom picked him up carefully and placed him in his high chair.  We sat in silence, my dad already digging into the food around him.  Everyone else started passing things aside.

"So Hanna, what did you want to tell us?"  I bit my lip.

"Um?"  I looked at Sophia, then at Olive.  Olive urged me on.

"I'll tell you after dinner."  Sophia rolled her eyes. 

"Okay."

---

"Mom, Dad?  Can you come here?"  I yelled from the living room into the kitchen where my Mother and Father were at.  They sat down on the loveseat in front of Sophia, Olive and I.

"I'll go play with the kids."  Olive said as she got up.  Olive grabbed my hand quickly and murmured a 'good luck'.  Sophia gestured her head for me to go.

"It's okay."  It's okay?  No it’s not okay.  I'm sick and tired of pretending that everything is okay.  My parents are about to find out one of their daughters is a lesbian, how could anything be okay.  I know that in Sophia's mind, everyone lives perfect lifes because that's what she has, but some people don't and a simple 'It's okay' isn't enough for me.

"Mom, Dad... I have something to tell you."  I sighed.

"I have been keeping it a secret for over 2 years and I just can't do it anymore.  I don't want to live my life feeling like I'm horrible person because of how I feel."  I grabbed Sophia's hand and entwined our fingers.  I dreaded having to look back at my parents, but when I did, my mother's eyes were glistening and my dad was just sitting there in shock.

"I'm...I'm... Gosh I can't get this to fucking come out!"  I screamed at myself.

"Mom, Dad, I love Sophia.  There I said it, I love Sophia Louis.  I don't want anyone else.  I want to be with Sophia and I want to spend the rest of my life with her."  My parents didn't say anything.

"Mom?  Dad?"  I heard small sobs coming from my mother and my father got up and walked out the front door.  Sophia wrapped her arms around me and I cried on her shoulder.

"Hanna."  My mom whispered.

"Yes?"  I said, wiping a tear from under my eye. 

"Are you sure this is how you feel?"

"I've never been more sure in my life."  She stood up, walked over to me and sat next to me.

"Hanna, I'm not sure why this happened but you're my daughter and if Sophia makes you happy then she makes me happy.  I'm going to try, for you, to do this.  I Love you Hanna and don't you ever forget that."  We both stood up and she hugged me really tight to where I couldn't breathe.

"Mom, you're suffocating me."  We all laughed.  Suddenly the front door opened, Dad.  He came up behind my mother and wrapped his arms around me.  He sobbed on my shoulder and I couldn't care less if he cried a river on my shoulder.  He was my dad, the reason I'm on this place we call Earth.

"Hanna, I'm sorry for walking out on you.  This is just so new and I'm not used to my daughter telling me she is gay every day.  If you love Sophia, then I guess I do to.  Hanna, all I care about is you, your brother and sister and your mother, nobody else.  You guys are my world.  If there is something you need to tell me, don't feel obligated to hide it, I could understand why you hid this secret but next time, just tell me.  I love you Hanna, you're my baby girl."  Tears were starting to fall down his cheeks. 

"Dad, don't cry."  He toughened up and wiped his tears away.

"So when is the wedding?"