Chapter Nine

I woke up, sand plastered to my face. Dazed, I sat up and looked at my surroundings. I was sitting on a shoreline. The waves were crashing on the sandy shore. The crisp ocean air was a harsh, yet refreshing wake up call.

I remembered the night before, coming here with Adam, meeting mermaids, almost falling into freezing water. A low growl echoed through the quiet beach. Alarmed, I looked around for the source. To my surprise, it was Adam. He was passed out on the sand, snoring. He looked so adorable when he slept, his usual stern facial expression was softened.

I searched around the sand for my phone, wanting to take a picture of the snoring alpha. After locating my phone and taking a picture, I saw the time. 6:00.

"Adam!" I spoke urgently, "Adam wake up! It's six in the morning!" He just groaned and rolled over. I removed my shoe and slapped him on the shoulder with it.

He sat bolt upright after impact was made. "Jesus Christ! What was that for?!" Adam said rubbing his arm.

"We have to go, we slept at the beach in case you hadn't noticed. And it's six in the morning."

"Okay," He said while running a hand through his curly blonde hair,"well we won't be back at the Alpha house for twenty minutes, do you think you could mind link someone to cover for us?" 

"Yeah I guess. I'll mind link Ashton on the way back."

Adam nodded and stood up from the pearlescent sand. He held out a hand, I placed my hand in his as he helped me up off the beach.

We hurried away from the sandy shores and into a evergreen forest.

'Ash, I need a favor.' I connected to him anxiously.

'What is it?'

'Keep dad occupied for the next twenty minutes. Do not let him in my room.'

'Alright, but you'll have to explain to me why later. Okay?'

'Yeah okay. Thanks.'

After finishing my conversation with Ashton, I attempted to fix my look a bit. There was sand almost glued to my face which wasn't coming off easy. "How do I look?" I asked, turning to Adam.

"Here," he said lifting his hand towards my face. With his thumb, he wiped sand off of my chin. "Much better." He smiled. He started to lean closer to my face, still holding my chin in his hand. Nervously, I pulled away, looking awkwardly at the ground.

Yeah he is my mate, but so is Griffin. I haven't even had time to know Griffin, I can't jump the gun and kiss Adam.

***

The rest of the walk home was in dead silence. Once we were at the doors of the house I decided to say something. "Sorry, about earlier. I just don't know if I'm ready to move to that with you. You know I have a decision to make and it would be unfair of me to do that without getting to know Griffin yet."

"I get it." Adam said with a neutral look on his face. His eyes were dark, pitch black. I guess the mention of Griffin made him angry. I placed a hand on his shoulder. He shrugged it off and opened the door to the house, holding it open for me. Absolutely horrified and struck with sadness, I entered the house and snuck off to my room. I didn't bother looking back at Adam, I was too upset to see him.

I entered my room, locking the door behind me. The roses Adam gave me were sitting on my nightstand in a cream colored vase. A tear rolled down my cheek as I stared at the beautiful flowers.

After snapping back to reality, I proceeded to my closet to get prepared for school. I decided on wearing a maroon crop top and light wash high waisted shorts. I curled my hair and put on my usual makeup.

I checked the clock, it was 6:57. I sighed, putting on a pair of black converse and exited my room.

I sat at the granite island, my head resting in my hands. "Well Mere, would you like to explain now." A voice spoke from across the room. I looked up from my hands. Ashton was standing there, looking at me quizzically.

I told him the entire story about mine and Adam's date and the mermaids and everything. "Okay, so because of your date, dad gave me "the talk" again. Do you know how awful that is? You owe me big time." He told me.

"Okay, okay." I giggled.

"So you guys ended on a bit of bad terms?" Ashton asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I guess. It sucks though. I really like Adam, but it's unfair to Griffin for me to get with Adam without giving him a chance." I sighed.

Ashton sat on the stool next to mine, and patted me on the shoulder, "It'll all be better soon, big sis."

"Hopefully it will." Said a deep voice from around the corner. "I hate ending on bad terms with my mate."

I looked over to my right, Adam was standing in the foyer. He had a smirk on his face, leaning against wall. A smile formed on my face, I'm so glad he wasn't mad.

"I'll leave you two." Ashton said, standing up from the stool and exiting the room. Adam approached me, plopping down in the stool Ashton has recently exited from.

I was about to say something when Adam spoke, "I'm sorry about earlier, I didn't mean to brush you off like that or be so hostile. I just hate when you say his name, when I see you with him or even think about you two being together. I understand that you want to get to know the two of us and make a fair choice, I really do. It's just that you're my mate, my only mate. The one I want to be with forever."

I could feel myself blush at his words. The big bad alpha had just spoke of his feelings. I smiled and placed my hand on his, which was resting on the cool granite countertop. His hand exuded a wave of warmth that caused goosebumps to rise on my arms. I looked up at him, he had that same stricken look on his face. I sighed, "Oh Adam, if all guys were as sweet as you, life would be so much better."

I scooted closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder. We sat like that for a while, I found comfort in his presence. Like all my problems washed away when he was near.
***
(A/N)

Hi guys, I'm so sorry about not updating for the last week. Since I was on vacation I hadn't found the time to write. I'm back home and will be updating on my usual schedule! Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!

~Jayy