Chapter 4

"M-Miss Lina! Please! Hear me out!" Xelloss gasped as Lina Inverse had him in a choke hold, wrestling him on the floor after she sprang out in a furious rage from his offer.

"WHAT KIND OF A FRUITCAKE ARE YOU? YOU HAD TO HAVE KNOW I TURNED DOWN SEIGRAM'S IDIOTIC OFFER!" Lina screamed into his ear, her arms so tight around his throat had he been human she would have broke his neck. "This had better be a BAD JOKE Xelloss or I swear I'm gonna kick your ass worse than Valgaav and Gaav put together did to you!"

"B-but I don't mean it in the same way Seigram offered!" Xelloss squirmed, his eyes closed. "Y-you don't understand there's so much more on the line this-GAH!" she had punched him with a Visfarank.

"Lina would never make a deal with a monster! Mr. Xelloss you should know better than that!" Amelia growled, glaring down at the Mazoku.

"Well, I don't know about that... I mean if they offered her enough I'm sure they could temp her into considering it...." Zelgadis mumbled.

"Can I ask something?" Gourry spoke up.

"What is it, Gourry dear?" Sylphiel looked at him confused.

".... What's this Pledge of Immortality thing again?" the blonde asked, making everyone in the room sweatdrop.

"STUPID JELLYFISH BRAINS!" Lina snarled and hurled a Fireball that he quickly dodged.

"Mr. Gourry how could you forget about that?" Amelia cried.

"Well it sounds familiar, but I can't place my finger on it..." Gourry rubbed his head as he came back up from hiding under the table.

"Basically I am asking Ms. Lina to pledge herself to Lord Beast Master for immortality and other compenstations." Xelloss chimed in, seeming unfazed now by Lina's arms still around his throat. "Besides, haven't you ever heard of don't kill the messenger?" he opened his eyes about half way.

Lina twisted her mouth into a frown, then slowly released him. "Guess you have a point, you were ordered to offer it to me. It's not like Zelas might have listened to you if you told her I'd turn her down."

"Which in fact, I did." The Mazoku admitted bluntly. "Her first offer was clearly just to ask you to join us, and I warned her that would only get me a Dragon Slave to the face."

"Well I'm glad you've paid attention at least." The sorceress smirked, her hands on her hips. "... But what does Zelas want with me anyway?"

"Hmmm... Well that..." Xelloss closed one eye, waving his index finger. "... Is a secret!"

An anger vain popped on Lina's forehead. "Darkness beyond twilight... Crimson beyond-"

"WHOA WHOA MISS LINA PLEASE!" Xelloss waved his arms frantically, both amethyst eyes wide open. "What I meant was it's a secret to everyone else in this room!" he extended his arm to the group still at the table. "As I stated before my business is with you and you alone. Mistress Beast Master does not wish me to reveal everything to your comrades just yet."

"Get lost Xelloss." Zelgadis growled. "Lina already turned you down, and if you're hiding the very reason for her to join it has to be a bad one."

"Zel's right, you monsters are obviously up to something and I don't feel like being a pawn in your games this time." Lina hissed, turning her back to him. "Now run back to your master and tell her my answer is no."

Xelloss sighed and closed his eyes, shaking his head. "Miss Lina, I really think you should hear me out..."

"Not hearing ya." The crimson haired sorceress started walking away.