Chapter 2: Last Chances

Start from the beginning

"No, just Jade's school. She came down with a bug so I told them she wasn't coming in."

"Oh, that's boring," Phyia said a bit disappointed. "I still think it's strange that they let you be her guardian even though you're just 4 years older than her."

"It works out I guess," Sora said. It took a while getting used to, but in a way, Sora was grateful that he was the one who had to take care of Jade now. Well, in a way it was taking care of each other, but it gave him something to focus on, to be responsible for, instead of just letting himself get lost in his own world like he always did when he was younger.

"So, any big plans for this summer?"

"Not really," Sora said. He looked out the window, really wishing he could be like the main character in some shows and be right next to the window, but still, he could see it fine from several rows over.

"What, no plans with friends, or maybe even a girl you might like?" Phyia said with a grin that made Sora think he was planning something.

"I guess I'll just see if something happens," Sora said, with a shrug of his shoulders, not really interested in any strange ideas Phyia might have.

"Something tells me something will happen," Phyia said, getting up from his seat and heading to the door, despite the fact that it was the middle of the class. Well, they weren't really doing anything in class, so the teacher didn't mind. Plus, Sora was pretty sure the teachers were as excited as the students to be able to get out of here for the summer, and didn't want any undue stress.

He looked up at the clock and saw there were still about 10 minutes left of class, so he reached into his backpack to pull out a magazine, wondering if he'd actually get to finish up this article on Stonehenge before something else distracted him. Luckily he didn't really know anyone else in this class, so he was pretty sure he could concentrate on the story of the person who went missing after heading to Stonehenge.

Sure, he knew that these articles were probably just someone trying to earn a quick buck so they'd hype up anything that they heard in rumors. Anything to take money from those who believed in the supernatural or those who had a healthy dose of love for conspiracy theories. But Sora knew that there were things in this world that normal people didn't know about, so he wondered what else was out there, what other things were just barely hidden from sight. And with all the unexplained mysteries in the world, he didn't find it much of a stretch to believe that that magic could be behind some of those strange happenings.

As he turned the page, he felt a sharp stabbing pain in his head. It came out of nowhere. He held his head in his hand, trying to message his temples so it would go away. He'd felt like this before, but only because he was really sick, but other than feeling like his head was about to explode, he felt fine now.

The bell rang telling him the class was over, which to everyone else seemed like a dull tone, but to him it felt like someone was playing the cymbals right next to his eardrums. He covered his ears, but that only made the piercing sound worse. Finally after a couple seconds it ended, but it still felt like his head was spinning.

"Sora, are you okay?" the teacher asked, noticing how strange he was acting.

"I don't know," he said, "My head is killing me."

"You should probably go to the nurse. Here, I'll write you a pass."

That seemed like the best idea, maybe they could give him something to make the pain go away. Sora then slowly tried to get up from his desk, placing his hand on the desk for balance as he tried standing up. As he was getting up, the world felt like it was spinning around him, and he almost felt like he was going to throw up.