"Why are you up so early anyway? It's the semester break" he grumbles as he starts eating, his head in his hand.

"You forgot didn't you?" I phrase it as a statement because I know that Ashton did indeed forget about today's plans. 

"I didn't forget anything, it's coming back to me. We were meant to be visiting..." he trails off and I chuckle.

"Brad, Ashton. We were mean to see Brad before heading to see your parents" 

"I told you I remember" he scowls at me, his grey eyes glinting dangerously at me and I raise my eyebrows.

"Oh really? Then you'll also remember what today is?" I move so that I'm standing in front of him, in between him and the counter. He looks panicked as he tries to recall what the date is and I place my arms on his shoulders, linking my hands together.

"You, Ashton Knight have the worst memory known to man-kind" I place my lips on his briefly "Happy four year anniversary moron"

"Whoops" he grins sheepishly before kissing me thoroughly. "Sorry?"

"Try harder, Knight you're not getting off that easily" I wink at him before moving away and finishing off my breakfast.

**********

The lights are off when we arrive at Brad's house on the edge of the lake. We had a change of plans earlier and had to visit Ashton's parents first since they were leaving for a road trip later on which meant that we arrived at Brad's place six hours late.

"I told you the traffic would be bad" I scowl at Ashton "He probably gave up on waiting and left for the restaurant already"

"He's probably just hanging out in the back yard, relax would you. And oh, just so you know I still think it's a stupid idea going into town for dinner when he lives two hours away" The two of us climb out of the car, still bickering about the night's plans.

Once we approach the front door I ring the doorbell, hearing it ring through out the home. After five minutes of waiting Ashton decides to check if they're in the back yard. I protested but was left waiting under the slowly darkening evening sky. 

It took almost ten minutes of waiting before I got freaked out sitting out on the porch with no sounds of movement coming from the house or from Ashton who still hadn't returned. Fed up I walk around the side of the house where I last saw Ashton go. The closer I get to the back yard the more sounds I can hear, as well as the blinking light of what seemed to be fairy lights.

"What the...?" I murmur as I get closer before gasping at the sight in front of me. A large banner hangs at the back of the yard where there is two outdoor garden lamps but what surprises me the most is the fact that Ashton is kneeling below it. Around us there are several of our friends, including our parents, Brad, Madeline and Juliette.

Finally I glance up to read the banner which was blazing with the words 'Will you marry me?'. Gasping I stop in my tracks, my eyes flitting from Ashton to the banner in a hurried manner. 

"Are you serious?" I murmur and from off to the side I can hear Brad scoff. 

Ashton simply raises an eyebrow a smile playing at his lips as he patiently waits for my answer. My eyes shift rapidly from his face to the banner.

I'm sure I look like an absolute idiot but all this seems so unreal. I mean of course I had pictured getting married to Ashton. We have been together for the past four years but I always thought he wasn't ready to jump into that kind of commitment, especially when the two of us were yet to finish our degrees.

So this whole move came as a complete surprise but I was definitely not complaining.

"Yes"

The crowd heard it before he did and there was a cry of happiness as they all started cheering. Ashton looked like a deer in headlights as he stared at me before quickly pulling me into a hug. The next few minutes passed in a blur as a simple, engraved silver ring was placed on to my finger and I was being congratulated by friends and family.

"We're finally going to become official family members" Juliette squeals as she pulls me into a hug, a grinning Joey standing not too far behind her.

"It only took them four years" The teasing remark comes from Brad and I turn to punch him on the arm.

"Did you know he was going to propose?" I ask him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Of course I did. I am all-knowing after all" We all roll our eyes at that one. Brad hadn't lost his ego over the years. With time Brad and I rebuilt our friendship and Ashton on his part had made an effort to get to know him better and I got to say it was all going good. Life had never been better after the dramatic events of our senior year.

"I'm kind of bummed that Ethan and James aren't here though" I murmur as I look around, missing my brothers' cheeky smiles. The two had both flown to New York to attend NYU, James had changed his degree so many times now I had given up keeping track. As for Ethan, last I heard he was finishing off his Bachelor of Commerce. 

"Oh well, there's always thanksgiving right?" Juliette comments with a small smile and I nod. The thought of another big get together increasing my excitement. She and Joey move away to grab some food and a pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"You seem happy..." he whispers into my ear and I grin.

"That's because I am, you see it seems that my boyfriend didn't forget our anniversary after all" I turn around in his arms, linking my hands behind his neck and he grins.

"It's fiancé now" And as this gorgeous, grumpy and yet sweet man gazes down on me with the utmost adoration I couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah it is" I murmur before kissing my future husband firmly on the mouth.

I may not have been popular in high school, I know I wasn't the prettiest or the smartest but if there's one thing I've learnt from my experience it's that it doesn't matter what 'stereotype' you are placed in. At the end of the day the only thing that defines you is your personality, the things you love to do and enjoy the most. Life isn't about conforming to society's mold, don't be afraid to break out of your shell because that's when you'll be able to find true happiness.

And for me my happiness I with my fiancé , family and friends because with them I could truly be myself. And who knows in a couple of months 'myself' could be Isabelle Knight.

(12/08/15)

That's it, it's over...excuse while i cry. There will be an authors note posted after this btw where I'll do my thank you spiel.

 Very Important Note

As all you know I have entered Lakeview's Outcast into the Watty Awards. The voting period begins on the 24th of August and runs till the 31st August on TWITTER. So all you have to do is retweet my tweet with the title, link to the story and the tag #MyWattysChoice.

https://twitter.com/in_hidden the link to my twitter account is here, feel free to follow or whatever

Please, please retweet like crazy when the time comes guys :)

Now I was planning to do a bonus chapter and maybe a Q&A so if you guys have any requests or questions please comment or let me know.