Chapter Thirteen

"And up and hold," Dixie instructed, as Nicky held the position. "And down."

God, this was awkward, she thought for the forty second time in less than fifteen minutes.

Dixie had vowed to treat Nicky like she normally did, but was finding that difficult in light of Javier's confession the evening before. She still wasn't sure she believed it entirely, but she had no reason not to believe it.

And the dynamic between herself and Nicky had been... different the last few weeks. When they were at Gamble Ranch, yes he was...what was the word Javier used? Reticent. Nicky was definitely reticent at first, but...

But after a while, he loosened up, he talked to her, and they'd had a nice few moments here and there, Dixie thought, thinking back to those few minutes in front of the bonfire when they had shared a blanket and a comfortable silence, even though her heart was pounding at being so close to him...

But now... everything was different now. This supposed knowledge from Javier tinged her opinion of Nicky, though she tried not to let it do so. And, ever since the tour had started, really, Nicky had been... cool towards her.

Not mean, not hateful, just...chilly.

No more banter, no more teasing, no more mindless conversations, just...

Condemnation?

Is that what she saw in his eyes whenever they crossed paths here at the tracks?

Or is that what she saw when they crossed paths and she was with Javier?

She couldn't be sure.

All she knew for sure is that whatever comfortable ground they had found between them at the ranch and before the tour started seemed to have evaporated into a puff of smoke.

And she kind of hated that.

No, she really hated that, she mentally amended to herself.

"Do you just want to quit for today?" Dixie barked as Nicky gave her a halfhearted arm raise.

"No."

"Then what's going on?" She demanded, hands on her hips. "In fact, what's up with you lately? We used to joke and tease a little during your sessions. We used to, I don't know, at least talk. Lately you're all cold and controlled, no banter, no smiling, no nothing. I know we weren't exactly besties before, but I thought we were friends, not trainer and emotionless automaton. Lately, you've been looking at me like I'm dirt on the bottom of your shoe. Want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Too bad, because we're gonna," Dixie said, her voice full of determination her hands still on her hips, her stance wide and defiant.

"Leave it, Dixie," Nicky said, straightening up and fixing her with a steely gaze. "Leave me alone. I don't need a therapy session from you today. Or possibly ever."

"You need someone to kick your whiny ass, is what you need. And it seems to be that after watching you on the circuit these last few weeks, you need some friends. Or an attitude adjustment. Or maybe both. Everyone is happy, but you... I can't figure you out. You're living the perfect life, but you walk around like... I don't know, like you hate being you. Don't you know how lucky you are? How many guys would kill to be in your position?"

"I don't hate myself, or hate being here. Hell, I'm grateful every day. I just..." Nicky ran a hand through his hair in frustration, making it stick up in blond spikes. "I don't have your happy knack to just chat with people, to just bond with them. I leave that to the Javiers of the world," he said on a sneer.