Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I turned over on my bed to see that it was two in the morning. If there were ever a better time to leave, now would be the time. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not my mother would be okay for a few hours on her own before an old folks home truck showed up to bring her there.

I sat up on my bed and grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper.

Mom,

I will no longer be living here with you. I'm so sorry that I did it this way, but I couldn't say goodbye. I know it may make me a coward, but I also would hate to have you see me leave, and be alone. I love you, with all my heart. Be safe, and don't forget to call the old folks home.

Sincerely,

Perry

Tears flowed out of my eyes as I wrote the poorly written letter to my sick mother. It was a dumb letter, and made me sound like an ungrateful bastard towards the end.

But I guess this was the way to do it. This was the way to leave, and never come back. It made me feel like an ass, but it was better than forcing myself to see her cry.

I stood up and folded the letter as I made my way over to my closet. I grabbed a bag and started throwing clothes in it, along with all the money I had saved up, which was around two thousand dollars.

I heard a door creak and I immediately stopped in my tracks as I realized that my mother was probably going to the bathroom. I wiped another tear away at the noise of her, it would be the last ones I would ever hear.

I quickly opened my bedroom door and dashed to the living room, putting the letter on her small wooden chair, then making my way to the front door before she could make it out if the bathroom.

*~*~*~*

I knocked furiously on Jonathan's door. It was about three in the morning, and I was knocking on my older brother's door, in which he was probably sleeping. "Jonathan, open up!" I yelled. Luckily there were no neighbors, or I may have gotten a brick thrown at my head.

Suddenly, the door made clicking noises, then it opened to reveal a very tired and angry Jonathan. "What do you want, Perry?" he asked, rubbing his face.

"Can I stay here tonight?" I asked, peeking behind him to look inside.

"Perry--"

"I ran away," I blurted, cutting him off. His eyes widened.

"You what?" he asked in shock.

"Ran away. You guys were right. Mom needs her safety, and I can't provide that for her if I'm the danger in her life."

He stepped aside and I walked in. "You can take the couch. Jayne most likely won't like you being here, but she'll have to deal with it," he said, leading me to his nicely furnished living room.

"Who's Jayne?" I asked. I've never heard of her before. He stopped in his tracks, then looked back at me.

"My wife," he informed me.

"Since when did you have a wife?"

"Since three years ago. Not the point. Just, don't get on her nerves, okay? Then I have to deal with the anger behind it."

I chuckled, and set my bag down next to the couch. "Good night, Perry," he said, dropping a pillow and a blanket on the couch.

"Good night, Jonathan."

*~*~*~*

"Jonathan! What the hell?" I heard an angry feminine voice yell. I squeezed my eyes shut as an attempt to fall back asleep.