Chapter 7

We called the police the next morning, but they were no help.

"You can try and file charges, but the department can't do anything about it."

Nate had already called off work and he was pissed.

"What do you mean you can't do anything?" he asked angrily, "He threatened her life!"

Miracle sat on the livingroom floor playing with her bunny while Nate and I were in the kitchen talking to authorities.

The heavyset police officer just shrugged, "Look, I wish we could help but since no one was harmed, we can't."

Nate was getting ready to fire back, but I interrupted him before he could.

"Fine." I said.

Nate looked at me like I was crazy.

"No, it's not fine!"

I shook my head at him, letting him know that there was nothing more we could do to win this fight.

"Thank you officer," I said, defeated. "I guess you can go now."

"Yeah," Nate mumbled the sarcastic remark under his breath, "thanks for the help."

The two of us stood stock still on the cold tiled floor as the officer showed himself his way out. Neither of us had a clue what to do next.

"Now what?" I asked Nate, even though I knew he wouldn't have an answer. He only sighed. I didn't want to keep thinking about this.

"How about a quick walk," he offered, "I think we both need to clear our minds."

I nodded then Nate went to the living room to go and grab Mir. As I watched him pick her up from the ground, I began to feel guilty. He was risking so much by staying here to protect me and I couldn't understand why. I wasn't his for the protecting anymore. He didn't have to be doing this. Yet he did it anyways.

"Come on Mir, we're going for a walk." I heard him say.

"Walk!"

I looked at the bubbly little girl in his arms. Her safety was at stake too and if something happened to her on my account, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. 

Nate could tell that I was letting my thoughts get the best of me because he came back and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Come on," he urged, "let's not think so much. Just for a little while."

I sighed then the three of us made our way out the door and started walking toward a park that was around the corner and only few minutes away from where I lived. Nate and I used to walk there all the time when we had been together.

"Remember?" he asked with a smile when we arrived at its gates.

"How could I forget," I laughed.

The park used to close at eight, but we would always come late at night to hop the fence and watch the stars. I even came here a couple of time by myself after we broke up, just because it felt nice. It felt familiar.

"Swing!" Miracle shouted and ran toward the playground, falling over herself in the midst of all her excitement. Nate and I ran to her rescue, but she quickly picked herself up and continued running and yelling, "I okay!"

"Just like her dad," I chuckled under my breath.

"What do you mean by that?" Nate nudged my shoulder with his.

I just shook my head, but deep down I was remembering how he would always fall on his ass trying to show off then get right back up just to do it all over again. It never failed to make me laugh, and I think that's why he did it.