VI. From Sunset To Midnight, And Everything In Between

The events that transpired next seemed to flow into each other. We had gained enough momentum for the movement that it was able to progress even without us. Plans were made, supplies were acquired, and we set off to face this beast, almost certainly to our collective doom.

We marched in unison, and to our surprise, the Wild made no effort to strike at us in that time. One of my friends seemed to have figured out why, though. He told me that we were not these creatures’ only enemy. They despised Abaddon as well. He was the beast keeping them from the world above, as well, not to mention the fact that he was a child of Order. They wanted to see if we could slay the titan. If not, at least the humans would be gone. If we succeeded, they’d have a chance to ascend as well.

It wasn’t long before we entered Abaddon’s domain, a horrid land with chilling winds that could even strip the flesh off bones in some parts. We marched against him, and awaited his response.

Little did we know we weren’t deserving of much of one.

We expected a glorious battle against a ferocious beast. What we got was only bloodshed.

With only a mere glance, half our force, that being thousands of people, were instantly torn apart by forces the eye could not see. Their screams of pain and anguish were horrifying.  Corpses littered the ground, and we had only been there for mere seconds. What power did this beast have over us as to make us smaller than ants, to him?

Before I could consider this, thousands more were torn to shreds. This beast hadn’t even moved to strike us, and we were almost all dead. The screams started to die down, which at first I thought was good, but then I realized that the cause was that the dying were all dead. Now only remained the few living.

I had failed. My sin in life had followed me in death. I had led mankind to ruin, and now all hope was lost. This beast had judged us, and there was nothing we could do but run.

As I ran, people on either side of me fell. Their insides were being shredded apart even when they were inside their bodies. Abaddon didn’t have to fight us. Simply by willing it, we were dead.

I think in the end, only a few hundred of us escaped, including me. We no longer had the numbers to maintain our fortifications, so mankind became wanderers in this terrible world.

The cruel beasts of the Wild endlessly hunted us, preferring to prey on the newly arrived. I expect death to meet me soon. All I can hope is that I have some kind of fighting chance once it inevitably arrives.

WE SIX GATHER OUTSIDE THE WALLS, chilled to the bone, but knowing we have a long night ahead of us.

"Part of the reason they chose me," Ronin says as she briefs us, swinging a pack full of supplies onto her back, "was because I know pretty much everything that needs to happen, and will happen. True, the village needs a leader, but right now, you all need a leader more."

"What if you don't come back?" Jeggar says bluntly, crossing his arms. His tone suggests that no matter what, he's coming back alive and well.

"I don't plan on not coming back," replies Ronin determinedly. She beckons. "We best be moving. We're supposed to depart at sunset, and it's sunset now."

We all turn and cast one last look at the village while Ronin begins to make her way off towards the mountains. One by one, we sigh, and turn away. I'm one of the first to turn away, but that's so I can stare at the woods once more, taking in the view of the aged Bia trees, listen to the slow trickle of the almost completely frozen stream. If I never return, it's likely these things I'll miss the most.