Chapter 24: Broken

Jonathan's POV:

I stepped out of the painfully silent truck, ignoring everyone's glances. We had finally reached the burial place.

It was meant to be a beautiful place, but the weather seemed to be bipolar today. Not even thirty minutes ago it was clear sky's, but now, storm clouds had rolled in. Light raindrops drizzled on everyone. It was gloomy, no doubt.

The sky was almost pitch black, the thick grey storm clouds made themselves noticeable. I hadn't realized how late it was. It was probably close 1:00AM.

I trailed everyone else, leaving a good five feet of distance. I was slightly pissed off that they didn't tell me shit about him. It was pretty obvious they knew he was still alive.

Everyone was still silent as we stumbled down to the bay. Even the ocean was horrible. Waves crashed along the shores and cliffs of the few islands that surrounded the water. The water itself was a dark stormy black, which didn't help the gloom factor.

I watched as Craig led the way to the side of a cliff that was too far from the water to be disturbed by the waves. They sat both of the bodies down; Craig and him volunteered to dig the graves. I watched in the dim light as they began digging a grave.

Droidd and 407 popped up out of no where, almost immediately sensing the atmosphere. They looked at everyone, noticing Evan's mask-less face. It seemed to instantly click in their brains, and they distanced themselves from the group, whispering to each other.

I looked back at the two grave-diggers. By now, Tyler had acquired a flashlight and was shining it on the two. The flashlight enhanced the sweat dripping down their bodies. Even though I didn't want to admit it, the way Evan's shirt clung onto his broad shoulders, enhancing his muscular torso, was quiet the turn on. It distracted me, and I didn't need that type of distraction.

Shaking my head, I looked over at the sea, trying to empty my thoughts, but that was the exact opposite of what happened. So many thoughts were swimming in my head, making it impossible to just forget.

My eyes scanned the crashing waves, deep in thought. Somehow, I found myself sitting down on the gravelly path, knees pressed against my chest. Wrapping my arms around my shins, I perched my head on my knees.

How? How is he still alive? Why? Why didn't he tell me? Did he think I was going to be pissed? 'Cause now that the secrets out this late in the game, I'm enraged. I could tell he didn't just come either. The way that the others don't second-glance his ass makes it obvious.

Sighing, I looked up at the sky, letting the drizzle of rain wet my face. With every passing second, the raindrops got thicker, heavier. The rain was pouring down, drenching all of us.

Gravel crunched under someone's shoes, the sound coming closer to me with every footstep. I didn't look back; I didn't need too. The owner of the footsteps stopped right beside me. I looked over at them, watching as he sat down beside me.

He was all muddy from digging. I averted my gaze from him, but it was too late. He noticed me staring at him.

"I really am sorry..." He mumbled, trying to gain my attention back. My rage seemed to disappear, turning into something else.

"And I said it's okay," I lied. It was far from okay, and I really didn't know why. There was just this deep emotion in me that I couldn't quiet decipher it. Was it betrayal? Untrustworthiness? A mixture of both? A whole other emotion? I had no fucking clue.