20. Architect My Butt!

Start from the beginning

"No, I have to get to work."

"Oh, on the building?"

"Yeah. I'll pick up some food later. Right now I have to work."

"Oh." I stood fiddling with my hands and for the first time, Justin didn't reach over to stop me.

"So I'll see you later." He looked at me.

Still fiddling with my hands I asked, "What's wrong, Justin?"

"Nothing."

"Justi—"

"I said it's nothing."

"Please don't do this, okay? I'm trying—"

"Are you? Because you were so eager to leave me last night. I figured you'd want an early start to try it again."

I flinched. "I'm going to go now." I headed for the door, my hands shaking. Oh no, my tears are coming.

"No, Kasey, I'm sorry. That was harsh, I didn't mean that." He grabbed my arm and I snatched it out of his hold, whirling on him.

"You meant every word." I narrowed my eyes and he reeled away from me. "I'm sorry that I didn't want to stand there and watch you be drunk and miserable all night. I figured you'd want to do that by yourself. I don't know how to comfort people. No one—" I took a deep breath, "No one is ever there to comfort me so I don't know what to do. Sorry. I'm going now." I opened the door and he tried to grab me again and I moved out of the way. "Stop," I hissed, my voice quiet.

"Oh yeah, my bad I forget you don't want your mother to hear." He snorted, looking at me scathingly.

"Whatever, grow up."

"Learn how to be a normal person."

"Fine."

"Fine!"

He slammed the door and I stomped to my own, opening it and slamming it behind me.

Two weeks later and here I am, all by myself with no Justin to talk to and an always busy Jace walking around the apartment. In two weeks she has really upped her image and now she is all the news is talking about. Must be nice to have something going in her favor for once. My log is going great—I have lots of sponsors and tons of meetings lined up back to back. The thing is that I just really miss Justin and it is killing me inside. Annoyed, I slipped on a shirt and exited my bedroom.

Back from the store, Jace is sitting on the couch, staring at her phone, face deadpan. Unconcerned with her daily issues, I grabbed a yogurt and slid on top of the counter. After a while of utter silence, Jace said, "He texted me."

"Huh? Who?" I asked, turning around to face her.

"Colton."

My eyes grew wide and I gasped. "What does he want?"

"He said he wants to get together to talk."

"Are you gonna do it?" Wow, we haven't heard from him ever since he cheated and Jace threw him out.

"I-I don't know," she muttered, unsure of herself.

I slid off of the counter and walked over to her, placing my hand on her shoulder. "It will be okay. If you're not ready to see him on good terms then don't do it. Don't you have a fancy brunch to attend today? That sounds fun." I smiled and she gave a tiny smile in return.