Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

"I'm sorry, but I can't make it into work today." I said through the phone. I couldn't face both of them today. I just couldn't... I felt horrible about what had happened. It was confusing the hell out of me that I couldn't decide who I wanted more. Leave it to the inexperienced girl to get caught between two sex gods. How did this happen to me? On one hand, Ian was sexy and seemed just a tad bit dangerous, and on the other, Caine was everything a woman could ever want.

"Ian can't make it in today. I need you here, Ember." The way Caine spoke told me that there was more to it than work, and as if reading my thoughts, he continued. "I want to see you and make sure you are okay."

I sighed and began throwing on my shoes. "Fine. I will be there in about thirty minutes. I am going to stop and get some coffee. Do you want some?" If I was going to see him, I needed some sort of caffeine in my system.

I heard him chuckle. "No need, Princess. I've got it covered. Just go ahead and come straight here." I hung up the phone. Could I really face him today, knowing what I had told Ian yesterday? I really should do what I said I was going to do and keep my distance.

I grumbled and grabbed my keys on the way out the door. I locked it and remembered something. It was unlocked when I came home yesterday. I locked it when I left for Caine's house, so how...? I shook my head and just locked it, leaving even though my mind was boggled. I had probably just thought I locked it.

I arrived at work twenty minutes later and Caine was smiling at me. My heart fluttered and I found myself grinning, despite my uneasiness. He walked up to me and hugged me tight, planting a kiss on my cheek. I looked up at him to see his hazel orbs shining brightly. "I'm closing the store for the morning. I want to walk with you, and maybe get some breakfast." He said, pulling me right back out the front door, locking it.

My jaw dropped and I smacked him on the arm. "Are you kidding me? You had me come to work, just so you could take me to go get breakfast?" I asked and his face fell, making me giggle despite myself. "That's sweet, but unnecessary."

He scoffed. "I am not sweet. I am sexy, conceited, and most definitely dominant." He said while winking at me. My face burned pleasantly as I grinned. He took my hand and linked his fingers through mine. "Your hand is so small. It feels really good." I stared at where his hand engulfed mine. So much for keeping my distance...

"Caine, you don't have to force compliments to come out of your mouth." I said, looking away from him.

He squeezed my hand, making me look at him. "That wasn't forced, princess. Nothing could force me to hold your hand or take you out. I do this because I want to. I want to get to know you." He spoke low so that I was the only one on the sidewalks that heard him. I smiled at him even wider, earning me a kiss on my forehead. I shouldn't have been enjoying this.

He led us to a coffee and cocoa cart and asked me what I wanted. "Actually, coffee with a hint of caramel would be great." I answered and Caine ordered two. He paid for them and then handed one to me.

"You have a beautiful girlfriend, sir. You better hold onto her." The barista said, winking at me. I blushed and looked away.

Caine took my hand again and smiled at me. "She's not my girlfriend. Yet." I stared at him, wide eyed and jaw practically on the sidewalk. Did he just say what I thought he said? Oh, no. I had to find a way to evacuate. I had to get away before he really got the wrong idea, or worse.

He dragged me away and thanked the barista who just smiled at us. We walked toward the park and Caine found an empty bench. "Here. Let's sit." Even that simple sentence came out as a command.

I sat on one side of the bench and Caine sat next to me, still close enough that we were holding hands and our knees were touching. "Tell me about yourself." I said, realizing that I really didn't know anything about him. I was just trying to buy time.

He smiled. "How about we start with the basics?" I just nodded. "Well, my mother and father split up when I was one. They decided that it wasn't working out and called it a quits before anyone got hurt too badly. I lived with my mom until I graduated high school. Then I moved in with my dad, only to find out that he had been married for sixteen years. My mom didn't even know. I was mad at first, but I eventually understood. Everyone needs to be happy."

"Then what?" I sipped my coffee and watched the expressions cross his face.

He smiled. "Then, I focused on school. I took over my father's business, which is why I am not at The Sandbox all the time. I love it, but at the same time, I can't stand it. It doesn't give me time to be me. I haven't dated since high school because of it." He frowned. "You know, I never thought I would find love. I still don't know if I will."

I squeezed his hand. "Girls are crazy about you, Caine. Can you not see the way they stare at you? They think you are sexy as hell and you know it."

"It's not about if they find me attractive, Em. I just want someone to love me for who I am, not because of what I do or what I look like. It's hard to find a woman that is open-minded. Whoever I end up with will have to be." He stared off into the distance, watching an old couple stroll arm in arm.

"It's nice that you feel that way, Caine. Many men give up on those emotions before they even give them a chance." I said quietly, resting my head on his shoulder. "And you will just have to be patient to find a woman that can handle all of you."

He looked at me when I rose my head and leaned into me, kissing me on the mouth softly. I kissed him back and we shared a sweet moment right there on that park bench, not caring about anyone else in the world.

Abort mission, Ember. Abort Mission! "You know, Em, I believe that I could really like you." He said smirking. "Once I get to know you."

My heart dropped slightly. He wouldn't be saying that if he knew... I forced a smile to my face and kissed him again before pulling away. "Anyway, since you told me a little about you, I suppose I should return the favor." I said, resting my head on his shoulder again. "When I was seven, my parents died in a car crash and I had to live with my Aunt Elise. I was going to college to become a lawyer when my aunt got sick and I had to quit. I was lucky that the Creep gave me the job I had, but as you know, that didn't last."

I smirked at him and he frowned, but I continued. "Anyway, I have had one serious boyfriend, and you met him the other day. He used to call me a whore when I wore my dresses too short, or when I would suggest different things in bed. I just... I don't like the same old thing over and over again. I don't even know what I like." I sighed and just stopped talking, sitting up and moving away from Caine and removing my hand from his. "I really should get home. I don't want you thinking that-".

"Ember, please don't. It's okay." He whispered, pulling me into his arms. I just sat there with my face buried in his chest, starting to cry. "Em..." He said, clutching me closer. He thought I was crying about Chad, but I wasn't. I couldn't seem to get out of there.

I let the tears roll down my face as I cried. Caine just held me, letting me get my emotions out. His hand rested on the back of my head, stroking my hair and letting me calm down as I inhaled his scent. He tilted my head back and stared up at him. He kissed the tears from my face and then slowly, my lips.

"Ember, there is nothing wrong with you. You are absolutely sexy. Can't you see that?" I shook my head and he cursed under his breath. "Chad just needs to go sit on a sword."

I laughed loudly at that. That little phrase made my day and I relaxed a little bit. I snuggled up into his chest. "Thank you."

"For what?" He asked, looking thoroughly confused.

"For letting me cry all over you. I know it ruins your bad boy image." I said, winking at him. I truly was grateful.

He scoffed. "Maybe not. The onlookers could think that I made you cry." He smiled and my heart hammered harder. Oh god... Someone help me! I was starting to feel.