Chapter 1

Brandi POV

"Brandi breakfast!!!" I heard my mom yell from downstairs. "Coming!" I yell back. I take a quick look on how I looked today. Black jeans blue flannel and a grey v neck with my black doctor Martin boots. My make up casual and my long brown hair down.

I grab my backpacks and binder and make sure I have everything. I hop downstairs to see my mother already setting my waffles on the table.

"Good morning mother dear" I said "morning love. You know you're running late" my mom tells me. "Yeah I went to sleep late" I say sitting down and eating a bit fast. "Let me guess. You were watching another River Phoenix movie" my mom says. "Nope. I was watching an INTERVIEW of River Phoenix" I respond with a giggle. "Ugh. You've watched all his interviews" my mom says. "It's fun to watch them again" I say.

"Well you should get going before it gets late" my mom says. "Right" I respond. I get up and go brush my teeth. I come back and grab my binder and folder and kiss my mom goodbye. I head out the door making my way to school.

On my way to school there was my friend Claire. "Hey Brandi, love" she greets me. "Hi Claire, love" I say. The sun was coming out so we put on our shades. "Did you do mr Roberts science homework?" Claire asked me. I was about to answer when I heard a voice from behind calling Claire and I's name. We turned to see our friend Alice. "Brandi!! Claire!!" He stopped walking and waited for Alice to catch up.

"Well aren't we all running late to school" Claire says when Alice catches up to us. "I was up all night doing the science homework" Alice responds catching her breath from the running she just did. "Me too" Claire says. "Oh it was no problem for me. I did it right when I got home and spend the rest of the day-" I was cut off by Alice. "Let me guess. It had something to do with River Phoenix" she said. "Oh you guessed right" I said with a smirk.

See. I've admired River Phoenix since I was 13 years old. He was a fantastic actor and he was gorgeous. He died young unfortunately. So I didn't get to live around his time. And as much as I say. I was born in the wrong generation.

Alice rolls up the sleeves of her jean jacket "why can't you do anything that doesn't involve River Phoenix." Alice says. "Why should I" I say "you could do other things like have a boyfriend-" Claire cut off Alice.

"Alice gosh. Why do you make such a big fuss, man. C'mon. Let her live how she wants to live. Don't put her down. Would you like if someone told you crap about fall out boy or panic and the disco or paramore or any of those bands you like" Claire says. "I'm just saying" Alice mutters. I turn to Claire and mouth a thank you. She just smiles at me.

We get to our school. I check my watch. "5 minutes till the bell rings" I sigh. "Well can we compare our science work?" Alice asks. "Sure" Claire and I mutter. We take out our work and a pencil and help each other.

We're not nerds if that's what you think. It's just our science teacher is real tough and if you get anything wrong in his class he practically yells at you. In front of the whole class. Once I didn't do my homework because it was to hard. I even googled it and asked my mom for help but I couldn't solve it. And when I tried to explain he cut me off and yelled at me. I was in the urge of tears. I felt so embarrassed and stupid.

"Hey nerds. Checking home works again" I heard our friend Les come from behind. "Oh shut up Les. You know how mr.Roberts is about homework" Alice said. "True true.... So you guys wanna give me the answers" he asked.

"No" Alice said "of course not" Claire said "are you kidding me?" I said. We all said it in the same time "okay okay. Sorry" he chuckled. He sat next to me and put his arm around me.

"What a beautiful California day" he said looking up to the sky. "Rainy days are better" I say. "Why?" He asked sounding curious. "Because flowers and other plants get water. The city gets cleaned up. And I get to have a blanket wrapped around me with hot chocolate watching movies" I say. "The only movies you watch are 1980s movies" he says. "Mostly. Yes" I respond. "Why?" He asked.

"I like them. The actors are great. The stories are creative and there's no movies from this century like them" I respond. "What's your favorite 80s movie" Les asks me. "I don't know that's a hard question" I respond. The bell rings. I grab my stuff and say good bye to Claire. Les and Alice walk with since we have the same class.

"But just choose one movie" Les asks me. "I don't know. I can't just name one. There's so many. Karate kid, back to the future, breakfast club, the outsiders, sixteen candles" I say. We walk in to class and I sit down. Les hops on my desk and Alice sat next to me.

"I've never heard of any of those movies" Les says. I chuckle. "I'm so surprised" I say with sarcasm. "If I watch those movies will you go-" Alice cuts him off. "Oh my god you're so fricken annoying. Run off" she says. "Fine fine fine. Chill" les says leaving to his desk. I giggle and Alice's attitude. Les Looks back at me and smiles.

"He could be annoying sometimes" Alice mutters. "I think you just get annoyed by him" I giggle. The class started and we took notes like always. It was math. I don't like math. But I'm surprisingly good at it. The teacher loves me. Which is kinda annoying because she's annoying and everyone hates her. Everyone calls me her teachers pet. Just because I'm the only one that does my homework.

But wouldn't the joke be on them. Because they owe all that homework. And I'll have a great grade and will be graduating next year.