CHAPTER NINE |:| NUMBER ONE FAN

Start from the beginning

There are lots of twists and turns like encountering Yanny at the telephone table, almost hitting my toe at the end of the stairs, and almost slipping when I hit the floor mat at the front door. When I arrive, still fully alive, at the garage, I put my hands on my knees, panting.

"Okay, one minute," I say, raising one finger in the air.

"60, 59, 58, 57, 56 ..." Christian is currently counting my time and I wipe the beads of sweat that is forming on my forehead. I need to start getting fit. Maybe in the future, I'm too young to spend my life exercising and not enjoy my youth.

"...5,4,3,2,1. Let's go! The earlier we go, the earlier we can come back," Christian says as he finishes wearing his helmet. I quickly wear mine and then ride my bike towards the public library.

"Unh, huh, oh-kay, ah-aren't yah tie-yad aftah the trah-out," I try to say as I try to catch up with Christian, "eh-nd ruh-ning?"

Christian slows down a bit as he turns his head to look at me. "No. I took a short nap during the car ride on the way home, why, are you?" he says wryly.

I give him a look and continue biking. We usually ride our bikes when we want to race or feel sporty enough. Once, we got so bored that we just drew his room's garbage can with lines, making it look like a basketball net. Now, every time Christian throws his trash at it, he calls my name and makes me watch him shoot at the net–every single time. Yes, every single time, and I'm not sure if it's good for his ego.

"Okay. So I'll just be fast and grab the book then we'll go back. Twenty seconds!" I say as I open the library door and fast-walk towards the second row and grab the book that I was looking for. I smile and hop happily towards the desk to log out the book and give her my card. Thankfully today, there aren't many people inside the library so there isn't a long line for the check-out.

After receiving my book, I look around for Christian, who is now missing. I roll my eyes; this is not the first time Christian has wandered off.

I walk slowly through each section of books, wondering where he went, because I know that he isn't a reader like me. At the same time while looking for him, I unconsciously start to scan each book that I pass by, wondering which book to borrow next.

"Christian, there you are—" I say but quickly stop immediately when I see him talking to someone.

"Well, it was nice meeting you here, Chrissy." My stomach is now experiencing bad weather but I ignore it and continue towards my best friend.

"Nice to meet you too, Christian," the girl says.

Chrissy is pretty, but not the supermodel kind. She looks imperfectly beautiful. She has freckles below her eyes and she is wearing a ponytail. I stop checking her out, not wanting her to think of me as a creep.

"Mase, you're here! Well, Chrissy, this is Massie. Mase, this is Chrissy."

"Hi!" Chrissy says chirpily with a weird accent.

"Hello." I smile back at her and I can't help but notice how she looks so pretty wearing a white sundress. White was never my color.

"Sorry for being rude, but I have to go or else my mom is going to explode when I stay longer than I should." Chrissy smiles apologetically and makes her way towards the exit, but not before waving goodbye.

"I like her," I confess, walking our way towards our bike. It feels nice to be out in the sun again, because I'm more of an outside type of person than indoors.

"Yeah, me too." And for the first time, I catch Christian's ears turning red.

I want to say something about it but I turn my attention and run quickly to the wishing well that is located front of the library. I take out a penny from my pocket and look excitedly at Christian, who wears a blank face. We always throw pennies at the well every time we go to the library.

Christian shakes his head, but takes a penny from his pocket. "Okay, one, two, three."

We both throw our pennies into the well, watching them slowly fall through the water, and I make my wish silently as I close my eyes.

I open my eyes and look at Christian, but his eyes are still closed. I look back at the water and see my smiling reflection. Even though I look pretty ugly as I am sweating under the sun and my hair is sticking out everywhere since I let my hair down today, I still smile at the image of Christian and I.

I wish for more memories together with the boy beside me.  

A U T H O R ' S N O T E :

This chapter is dedicated to one lucky fan who voted and commented on my previous chapter, I'm going to dedicate this chapter to a fan once I finished this whole story :D 

nitapan14, thank you so much for supporting me on this story with your very lovely comments that make my day!

And the title being "Number One Fan" was totally coincidence, I didn't plan it at all but it's a nice match, don't ya think so?

Okay, so this chapter will explain a lot of things from what you have read before! :) And I'm here to make sure you got them *teacher voice*

This is how Christian's basketball journey starts. This is how Christian and Massie first met Chrissy. This is Massie's wish from the very first chapter posted.

Gotcha?

Questions of the Chapter: (feel free to answer one or all of them)

1. Do you celebrate on certain date when you and your best friend met? Me and my best friends don't actually remember the day we met because it was a long time ago.

2. What do you think of Chrissy in this chapter? How about Massie? Or maybe Christian?

3. In the perspective of you were younger, like eleven or twelve, and you had one wish, what would it be? Mine would be to be able to catch all of my favorite television shows on time, because there is always one show that I miss and my day is completely ruined when that happened.

This A/N is so long so if you got to read until this part, feel free to show me some love by voting this chapter or comment down below because we can both just rant out all of our thoughts.

:)

edited by flourish, thank you so much! :)