Iris and The Ending

Start from the beginning

      "Have a safe drive."

      I grabbed their arms to stop their exits, Mom's to the kitchen and Percy's to his car.

       "Come on you guys. We're family. We're supposed to stick together. Can you just make up?" I pleaded.

         "Not unless she lets the VP take over operations until I have graduated college." Percy said.

          "Fine. We'll draw up a contract, and I'll sign it over. I'm sick of it anyway." Mom said.

        "That's not making up. I mean, it kinda is, but not really. You both need to apologize for letting business come between you." I said.

     "Mom, I'm sorry for letting the business come between us." Percy said.

        Mom nodded, but said nothing.

      "Mom?" I prompted.

      "I'm sorry, Percy."

    I smiled. "Good. Now let's make ice cream sundaes and watch reality TV, just like we used to."

        They both smiled at that, and we set off towards the kitchen.

        A little part of me likes to believe that my dad played a part in it somehow. He saw that his business was breaking the family up, and he wanted to fix it. It's crazy, I know, but it's comforting. He's still watching over his family, from somewhere.

        On Sunday morning, my alarm went off at 7:30, which momentarily mystified me. It was later then I got up for school, yet way earlier then I ever got up during the summer. Shutting it off, I rolled back over and snuggled into my pillow. As if on cue, my phone began to ring.

        I accepted the call without looking at who it was. "Go away." I mumbled.

       "You promised you'd see me off at the train station. I'll be at your house in fifteen minutes. Wear something pretty." Rory said.

       "The things I do for you." I sighed.

        I climbed out of bed and walked over to my closet. I chose a simple, blue, short-sleeved dress that came to just above my knees. Then I brushed my hair, not bothering to curl or straighten it. I brushed my teeth and then went downstairs, to the kitchen where Percy was eating a bowl of cereal.

         "You're dressed up." He observed.

           "I'm going to say goodbye to Rory. He's leaving for summer camp today, and he'll be gone until the middle of August." I explained.

          "What will you do without your very best friend?"

      I shrugged. "Watch Netflix. Get a tan."

       The doorbell rang and I ran to get it. It was probably Rory, early as usual.

          I swung the door open, and was surprised to see who was there.

        "Katherine?" I asked.

      She smiled. "How's my favorite niece? Let me come in. I have some exciting news."

        I led her to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I grabbed a yogurt cup and poured a glass of milk.

       "What brings you here, Katherine?" Percy wondered.

        "It's nothing concerning you, favorite nephew. I have a proposition for Iris."

          He took a bite of his cereal. "Life was better when I was an only child."