Chapter 32- Green Eyed Monster

Start from the beginning

"Now go. Make me proud." Dani encouraged pushing Harper out who then was given her bag and a black blazer. Harper then was just left alone on the front step frowning as she slipped on her blazer to at least reduce the feeling of insecurity she was feeling by just wearing this dress. This was not how she was wanted to sort things, if she was honest, she was just going to try to forget what happened between them and get on with the job, instead Dani wanted her to make him jealous. Why would he even be jealous? He didn't need to be she thought, as she climbed into her car.

James was as his desk, he had the full weight of rejection high upon his shoulders. It was making him feel useless, a feeling that he never had to face before, why should he? Then there was yesterday, he knew he felt this pang of jealously and this feeling that seeing her embraced with another man made him irritated. Apart of him wondered what she would feel if he knew about his current flings, would she be jealous too? This was all driving him insane, his mind was off the business and it wasn't getting any better than he hoped where he had hoped his feelings would have gone. This would have not been bad if he wasn't screwed up in the head and didn't just maintain a love life jumping from one woman to another.

He got up heading for the door, where just as he opened the door, Harper was just exiting out from the lifts. James closed the door behind him, his back faced towards her but it was not like she had noticed him yet. Both didn't look up, Harper heading for his office and James approaching her way. They only both came to a halt when Harper felt herself colliding into a hardened chest, she stepped back looking up to see James who was just as shocked as she was. It was not only the clash that had stunned him but his eyes had briefly had the chance to trace upon her body, it made his breath hitch. If he hadn't been able to control himself, that dress itself would have been ripped off the second he had the chance. There her heart was going again, beating like crazy, just the familiar scent of his cologne lingering in her nose sent her breathless.

"Sorry." She muttered, her cheeks blushing as she felt his heavy glaze upon her. James shook his head. "Its fine, I wasn't looking where I was going either. What is it you wanted?" Harper quickly opened her bag pulling out a brown envelope smiling politely as she passed it over.

"Thank you." He said, looking down as he held the envelope. Both remained where they were, not a word said, it was evident that it was tense between the two.

"My mother has been asking about you, she is always going on about you." James chuckled, instantly regretting what he said. This was showing weakness he thought looking away.

Harper slightly smiled. "Your Mother is a lovely woman." James snorted. "Try living with her." Harper giggled, feeling James' glaze upon her. It was true to James, that the sound of her laugh was an infectious sweet sound to his ears and he couldn't help to admire her for that moment until it became clear the awkwardness riding both upon them again. Harper looked away pushing her bag strap further up her arm as she turned on her heel. James who was at the time fumbling with the envelope, cleared his throat before heading back around to his office. This was ridiculous he thought, nothing stopped him from getting what he wanted but something was pulling him back.

Harper sighed as she sat down at her desk, he only had to mention his Mother and she was thinking back to that weekend, the countless teasing, flirting and how he embraced her in his arms. Now it was in shambles and she still didn't have any clue what any of that meant between them. Was it just a silly fling, a foolish mistake?

By eleven, Harper had pitched to James over the intercom that he had a meeting that was due in 20 minutes or so, his response was brief but at least he was acting rude towards her. Grabbing her notepad she met up with James who was rolling up his sleeves to his shirt, the usual manner that drove her crazy.