Running from the Past

So this is dedicated to Xaidrien becausethey were the first to comment on this story. Anywho, I hope you enjoy!

~C.A

---------------------------------

Merica’s POV

I thought about it once. I thought about running away and leaving everything behind, but everyone knows you can’t run from your troubles because it will end up chasing you. That night, I woke up and found myself still at Willow’s. She was asleep beside me, snoring loudly. I chuckled and slowly stood up. I folded my blanket and headed towards the door, putting my shoes on. As I was heading out, a door creaked open and I saw Sonny, Willow’s older brother, come out. He stared at me for a second, an unreadable expression in his eyes.

“Heading out?” he asked. His voice was deep with sleep and his hair tousled in its usual messy style.

I nodded, unable to speak. We stared at each other for a while before I opened my mouth to talk.

“She’s drunk again. I have to go take care of her.” I told him.

He only nodded before taking a step closer and looked me in the eyes with that expression I can’t seem to understand. “Are you going to be okay?”

I gave him a sad smile in return. “Yeah, I think I got this.”

Sonny wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in a hug. My breathing hitched and I shut my eyes tight, wrapping my arms around his waist as comfort entered my body. “I’m here. All you have to do is ask.”

I nodded, letting him know that I heard what he said. Sonny knew better than that though and tightened his arms around me. That’s what I loved about being around him. He just knew what to do, no questions asked. I hated the feeling of being discovered, of being figured out.  I sighed in content, finally feeling secure. The new crack in my heart healing just a tiny bit, but I felt it, that little piece of hope keeping me sane.

After a while, I pulled back and gave him a genuine smile. Without another word to be said, I stepped back already missing the sense of longing and turned towards the door.

“Thanks, Sonny.” I said before heading out and shutting the door behind me, not hearing his reply. I looked down at my watch and noticed it was 2 AM. I panicked inside, something in me alerting me that something wasn’t right. I ran to my house that was a ten minute walk away from Willow’s. I made it in five and my heart pounded when I didn’t hear the usual sound of the TV on.

It’s going to be okay. Mom is just sleeping and turned the TV off. Yeah, she’s just sleeping.

I nodded to reassure myself and opened the never locked door. Silence greeted me as I stepped into the house. The smell of stale cigarettes and liquor entered my nose. Instead of lurking in the dark, I quickly turned the lights on and ran to my mom’s room, barely noticing the figure sitting on the couch.

“Hey dad.” I greeted and kept on running.

“Hey.”

Wait…. Dad?

I spun around and he was there, sitting right before my eyes, sipping on a beer bottle. I glared at him, feeling that same hatred I had since that day.

“What are you doing here?” I spat at him. He continued to stare at me, calmly sipping his beer.

“I needed more money.” He replied simply.

“Money? Money,” I screeched, “Ha, that’s rich; especially coming from a guy who gambled his wife and daughter’s life away! What do you really want? Huh? If you want money, I suggest you go down to the gambling place. I bet they have tons of money there.”

He smirked at me and I narrowed my eyes. Rage boiled within me and all I wanted to do was kick him out the house like I’ve done so many years ago. I might sound rude, but this man destroyed my family and I would do anything to keep him away.

“Nah, I think I like it here better.” He said, throwing his arms over the couch and relaxed.

I glared at him with clenched teeth. “Get. Out.”

I pointed towards the door, my breath coming out heavy. I heard footsteps behind me, but didn’t bother to turn around. I was practically raging inside, wanting to never see this man again.

“Merry, you do NOT speak to your father that way!”

I froze. No, please no. I turned around eying my mother who held a bottle of vodka in her right hand and two shot glasses in the other.

“Mom, why is here?”

“’Cause I called him here.”

“WHAT,” I shouted, “Why would you do that? Do you even remember what he did to us?”

She chuckled darkly, “If I recall correctly, it was you who told me to be a better mom and I thought, hmm, why not just be a family again? So I called your dad here. Why sweetie, shouldn’t you be happy? We’re a family again.”

I flinched. I knew I would pay for my little outburst hours ago, but this, this is going too far. I turned around and glared at the man behind me who had a smug look on his face.

“No,” I snapped, “I am NOT happy. How could you, Mo-” but before I could finish, my mom threw a punch towards my face.

“You bitch, you should be grateful that I didn’t throw your sorry ass out the house.” She yelled.

I glared at her, hating her at the moment. I couldn’t believe that she would do this to us, to me. I watched silently as she stumbled towards my father. He wasn’t looking at her though; he was looking at me with a hungry look in his eyes. I shivered, not liking the way his eyes travelled my body. My eyes glared at him, but my heart broke even more as I remembered her.

Candace.

 Tears threatened to spill from my eyes as I spun on my heel and walked into my room, still feeling his beady eyes on me. I mentally smacked myself for wearing just a tank top and denim short shorts. Opening the door that led to my bedroom, I picked up the landline phone and dialed a number I knew by heart.

“Hello?”

“Sonny, he’s back.”