Epilogue

"No miss. I'm fine, miss." 

"I think you should go the bathroom and dry your eyes, Mr Samuels," Miss Roxanne said gently yet firmly. 

"I'll go with him," Edendir offered immediately. "Just in case he can't see."

"Why wouldn't he be able to see, Mr Cinna?" Miss Roxanne questioned.

"Dylan took his glasses, miss."

"Tell-tale!" Dylan hissed venomously, his lean frame bending forwards to hit Edendir across the back of the head with a book.

"Mr Jones, detention. Mr Samuels, Mr Cinna, you are excused," Miss Roxanne said. She went back to the front of the classroom and Ryan slid out from under his desk, leaving the room as if he were going to the gallows. Edendir followed just behind and the second they got out into the corridor a smile broke across Edendir's face.

"Sorry," he apologised at Ryan's glare. "I just like being out of lessons, that's all." He sighed happily and then twirled around on the spot, blazer floating out at his sides. He stopped spinning and fell slightly, laughing as he stumbled sideways. Ryan had already walked off, going to the bathroom to do as Miss Roxanne had advised. 

"Wait up!" Edendir called, running after the boy just as he reached the bathroom. Edendir blocked the doorway but Ryan ducked under his arm, short enough to fit through the gap. He went straight to the sink and grabbed a handful of paper towels, keeping his head down.

"I was serious when I said that it was good," Edendir said, leaning against the sink next to Ryan's. "Your story. I could have listened to it all day. Also, I love the fact that I was an elf!" He grinned and turned to look at his ears. "I do have pointed ears," he mused. "I suppose I could pass as an elf." He ruffled his hair and grinned again, catching Ryan's eye in the mirror. The smile faded slightly as Edendir moved onto more serious matters. "Where did you get the idea for the relationships, though?"

"Dylan's going to kill me," was all Ryan said.

"I'm not going to kill you though," Edendir said. "You can talk to me."

"I, um," Ryan began nervously. He stopped and coughed awkwardly, looking back down into the sink. "I, er, I like you."

"I'm glad you said it," Edendir said, obviously relieved. "I would never have had the courage to go up to you and tell you that I like you."

"I didn't walk up to you, you followed me," Ryan pointed out. Edendir laughed. 

"You make a fair argument," he said. "And I do like you, by the way. Although I'm not demisexual. Nice idea for a character though. It really broadened my mind, to be honest." 

Ryan smiled slightly and sniffed back more tears. He'd left his handwritten manuscript on his desk and was fairly certain that it would have been torn to pieces by the animals he was forced to work with. 

"Hey," Edendir said gently, putting a hand on Ryan's shoulder. "Please, don't cry. People are always going to be horrible in life. You're one of the good guys, people just don't see that because you don't talk much."

"People mock me because I talk like a 'posh toff'," Ryan said, using air quotes. 

"I like it. You can actually pronounce your words, unlike some people." He smiled and Ryan looked up at him to see his eyes shining. "So, will you go out with me?"

"Where? We're trapped in this boarding school," Ryan sighed. 

"Have you ever been into the gardens?" Edendir asked. Ryan shook his head and the boy continued talking. "It's wonderful. Just like another world. Hey, if we sneak out there after dark then you can tell us another one! A story, I mean." He smiled and patted Ryan's shoulder. "I'd like to hear more. Elfir sounds like a fantastic place and I'd like to know more about the Ryan and Edendir relationship."