two

the next day, i decided that i'd go to the library again. i've finished my history project, so i basically only went there for the sake of seeing that blonde boy again.

i kind of liked talking to him. he had a thing in him that made me actually want to be his friend, and nobody's ever made me feel that way.

i just hope he didn't get weirded out by my actions yesterday.

i entered the building, inhaling the familiar scent into my lungs. i eyed the place as i felt my palms sweat.

there he was, flipping through a thicker book this time.

i stuffed my hands in my pocket before approaching him.

"h-hello," i stuttered. he looked up from his book and instantly beamed a smile.

"hey there," he whispered. "you're here, again."

i nervously nodded as i took a seat, then i started to fiddle with my phone. he stared at my phone, and then at me.

trying to ease the awkwardness, i decided to break the silence.

"so... what's your name?" i asked, trying to keep my voice a at a minimum level.

"luke."

"nice," i mumbled under my breath. "i'm calum, if you were wondering."

he then flashed me a small smile. huge dimples were visible on both sides of his cheeks, causing me to melt on the inside. i took the opportunity to take in his features - he had quite a defined jawline, perfectly angled - but bruised lips, beautiful blue eyes that had sadness evident in them, freckled nose and perfect complexion.

he was basically flawless, to me.

but noticing those terrible bruises and scars beneath his sleeves yesterday, made me sad. i had a strong urge to ask him what the problem was.

but would a stranger want to share his problems with me?

he closed his book and once again, lifted up the sleeve of his green jumper, checking the time.

"are you in a hurry?" i asked.

"oh, no." he shook his head. "it's just... never mind."

"hm, okay. you have nice eyes, i really like them."

okay, i just blurted out the creepiest thing ever. he smiled sheepishly at me before thanking me.

"um, thanks."

"sorry. it's not that i stare at you all the time."

"it's okay."

"what are you reading?"

"history of ancient greek." he showed me the cover of the book. it was a hard covered book, which had approximately five hundred pages in it. just guessing.

i nodded as he pushed the book aside.

"so, uh, where do you live?"

"just down the street."

next up, ladies and gentlemen, is where i blurt out what i don't think i was supposed to.

"why are there so many bruises and scars on your body parts?"

"it's.. nothing, r-really." he said shakily.

"are you sure?"

"yeah."

"how can those bruises be okay? don't they hurt?"

he lifted up his sleeve and rested his arm on the table, showing me his collection of bruises. i gasped at the amount of blue-black marks on his arm, feeling tears form in my eyes.

i felt so bad for him.

"who does all these?" i asked him, feeling my heart shatter into pieces.

he checked the time once more before pulling his sleeve down.

he opened his mouth, but no words came out. i blinked back the tears, letting the question slip.

suddenly, he started to panic. he had a little furrow between his eyebrows, and a little scowl playing on his lips. he left the thick book on the table, and hurriedly walk out of the library.

just before he left, he said this.

"i'm so sorry, calum. i have to go right now, can you please help me put the book back? i'm so, so sorry. i had a great time with you, though."