Chapter 4

I hadn't realized I had been holding my breath until I saw my red face on my shiny spoon. I let it out and braced myself for Veronica's plan.

The redhead bounded to the table, her curls bouncing with each stride. Kevin slightly stiffened beside me and we exchanged a glance. Despite my positive first impressions of the girl, I could tell that her plan might change my view. I just had to hope it was for the best.

Veronica plopped down into a chair across from me with Felix on her right. Then, she announced her ideas. "I have a bet to make. And honestly it's a win-win so you can't turn it down. Felix and Elle switch rooms for thirty days. I room with Felix. Elle and Kevin room together. The boys' room is way bigger than ours so it's like thirty days of luxury for you, Elle. Plus then I get some quality time with my baby. Here's the catch: if I'm right and you guys end up romantically liking each other, we win and we get the boys' room. If you remain just friends like you say you are, you win and consequently get the room. No lying about your relationship status at any point. Well actually, just be honest by the end of the month. Now even though I want you together and should probably just play matchmaker I still get the room if KEllevin is a thing because I was right. Plus I either get a luxurious room, or my new ship come together, so win-win for me. Deal?"

"That sounds crazy. What if the headmaster found out? Couldn't we all be expelled?" Kevin asked. He isn't an uptight person. Veronica and Felix probably got that impression, but they didn't know him like I did. He just couldn't go back to Maryland any time soon. We didn't cross the country just to go back to that hellhole.

"Actually, no," Felix piped up. "Now that gay rights are being recognized more, some schools started letting any sexes room with each other. It's an equality rule or some shit like that."

I looked into Kevin's eyes and knew his exact thoughts: Let's teach these lovebirds a lesson and score you a fancy ass room.

We both nodded and drawled, "Deal, losers." Our cocky answer resulted in french fries pelting our foreheads.

"I swear to sweet Jesus almighty that if I wasn't trying to be healthy, I would beat your ass for wasting perfectly good fries." I threatened, jokingly.

"Ooh Elle has a feisty side. Dude, you are so lucky you get to room with her for a month. If I were you I'd... ouch, V, I was only kidding. Don't hit me. You know you're my one and only-" I tuned out Felix defending himself so I could take a good look at Kevin. He wasn't ugly. My friend could definitely score me some dates out of jealousy.

This would be fun. We could definitely remain platonic, no matter what. This was going to be one hell of a month.

"What are you grinning about?" Kev questioned?

"Sleeping with you," I teased giving him a wink.

"Hashtag OTP! Come on Felix, let's give my ship some alone time." Veronica stood up, dragging her boyfriend behind her.

As Felix shoved the remainder of his fries down his throat, he mumbled, "V, they're in a public cafeteria. How much privacy do you think is required?" Veronica rolled her eyes and strutted out of the cafe with Felix trailing her.

"This bet is going to be amazing. We are soooo gonna prove them wrong," Kevin smirked.

"Duh. We totally have an advantage. They don't even know about all of our nights together back home..." I trailed off feeling guilty for bringing up home.

"I guess if our parents weren't such screw ups, we wouldn't be able to win this. So if we have one thing to thank them for, it's this." Kevin's eyes had unfocused, which could only mean he was on the verge of a break down.

I quickly ushered him out of the building and scanned our surroundings for an abandoned area. A small alley between the cafeteria and main building caught my eye and I led Kevin there.

When I knew we were out of sight, I wove my arms around his muscular waist and murmured, "Let it out," into his chest.

Kevin held onto me tightly. I felt him shaking and felt a few wet spots form on my head. He barely ever cried more than a few tears. Kevin's pain came out in trembles that shook his whole body.

Back home when things got tough at our neighboring dilapidated houses, we had a system. Our rooms faced each other. We would flash a light into the window until we caught each other's attention. Each of us would silently escape our slummy prisons and sneak into a secluded treehouse-like hut we had found in the woods. We had nonperishables, blankets, and enough supplies there to survive for a week or so each. Kevin and I spent countless nights there. It was our safe haven.

Ever since he moved in next door our freshmen year, we've been safe together. This bet would be little more than that. The only thing that worried me was that Kevin had a hard time doing as told. Telling him that we couldn't be in a relationship might change his feelings about us for good. Surely we've been through too much together to ever be a couple.