Chapter 3

I left room 56 to meet Kevin. As I walked down the stairs I slid on my sunglasses and applied extra lipgloss. Glamour was something I always used to my advantage in case I spotted any eye candy. Honestly though, I had guys lined up for me. Sometimes I had to pretend that Kevin was my boyfriend as an easy let-down.

By the time I reached the bottom of the girls' dorm, I'd already caught the eye of a couple senior boys who were providing freshmen tours checking me out. I even heard one mutter "I'd bang that chick," to his friend. He was actually pretty cute so I had stopped walking, slowly and obviously looked him over, and grinned. I knew how to flirt, a skill many girls thought they had but seriously lacked.

I arrived in front of Kevin's building minutes later. Not expecting the short distance, I was early and beat my best friend to the building. I sat in front of a large oak tree and leaned my head back while I waited. I closed my eyes behind my sunglasses and started nodding off despite drinking my caffeinated latte earlier.

I awoke suddenly several minutes later. The cute senior from the stairs knelt in front of me. He looked like he wanted to wake me, but he was also staring at my chest. I looked down and realized that my neckline had drooped and my boobs were trying to make an appearance. Senior-guy got excited when he noticed me awaken.

"Hey, babe. How about I introduce you to the Delta Kappa Phi house before rushing starts? I have the best room in the house."

Okay this guy was cute. Kinda pervy, but what college boy wasn't? I playfully smacked the guy's shoulder and leaned in so that the tension for a kiss built. Before our lips touched, I moved my head to whisper in his ear. "What, I don't even get a name?"

"Jay."

"Elle."

"Does it weird you out that our names out both letters?"

"Mmm." I responded while slowly stroking my hand down Jay's toned chest to his abs. Jay was a cookie-cutter surfer who probably came from California and attended prep schools that his daddy paid for. Jay smirked and planted a kiss on my collar bone. I slightly gasped, not from lust, but from surprise at this hot boy's forward actions.

Before things could escalate, Jay was pulled out of his crouch and away from me. I caught a glimpse of an orange baseball cap and blue sunglasses. Kevin found me.

"Seriously, Elle? We've been here for an hour and you already have a boy-toy? This is ridiculous. Go find another girl to play with, surfer boy," my best friend ordered. Jay could see that despite the age difference, Kevin had a size advantage substantial enough that fighting him could result in hospitalization.

"Relax, dude. Elle is my friend. We were just going to Greek Row for a little tour." Jay winked when he said tour, suggesting that it was a very little tour. Probably just a tour of his room.

"Dude, I'm gonna say this once: you do not want Elle in bed for two reasons. One, she's on her period so you ain't getting much action anyway. Two, I have plans with her, and you do not want to mess with me," Kevin warned.

"Well damn, I didn't know you had a bodyguard, babe. But hey, if you ever wanna meet up, come find me at the frat house. I'll make sure you have a great time," Jay promised.

Kevin consequently smacked him upside the head, and my pursuer sauntered away, rubbing his blond hair. I shot Kevin a grateful smile. Even if I'd flirted with the guy, I wasn't looking for a hook-up. I had a good education on the ole frickle frackle and was not willing to risk STDs, STIs, or pregnancy on a bit of fun with a stranger.

"Alright, Kev, let's get to the cafeteria before all the good food is gone," I decided.

The walk took ten minutes, as the cafeteria was on the other side on campus. When the we arrived, the building was crawling with older students. Almost all of the freshmen were still unpacking, so Kevin and I stood out like a sore thumb, making me squirm. We got several stares, mostly out of interest. A bottle-blond girl with an orange tan whispered to her friend just loud enough that I could hear. "Are they a couple? That boy is yummy. Mmm I'd ride him."

Is the only thing these upperclassmen care about sex? Their conversation earned them a glare from me and glances of jealousy from a herd of juniors.

We waited in line trying to avoid eye contact with our new peers. Attention was something Kevin and I have avoided ever since high school. When Kev and I reached the cafeteria lady, he ordered us the mac and cheese, apples, and salads. Our general rule was to avoid the Freshmen Fifteen, but mac and cheese has been my favorite comfort food since I was twelve and Kevin tended to just get whatever I did.

Looking for seats after ordering our food proved to be a challenge. The upperclassmen sat in unwelcoming cliques and there were few available seats. When the door swung open, an afro of red caught my eye. Veronica.

I waved my roommate over and Veronica quickly approached with a pale, lanky guy trailing behind her. I noted his red Target t-shirt and name tag that read Hello, my name is Felix.

"Hey, Elle! Is this the lucky guy you had plans with?" Veronica questioned.

Before I could answer, I heard Felix say, "Kevin, this is your friend? How are you not dating? She is smokin- ouch!" Veronica swatted his arm, much harder than a playful smack.

"Wait, hon, you're Elle's friend's roomie? OMG this is, like, totally perfect! We can all hang out together and double date-"

"We are not dating! Ugh," Kevin and I simultaneously interrupted.

Veronica grinned and Felix sighed. "Oh, great. You guys just gave Veronica her next challenge. Can't wait to see this play out."

"Shut up, Felix. You know you love my challenges almost as much as you love me." We watched the two quarrel momentarily, but then noticed a group of juniors leave their table. My not-boyfriend and I wasted no time in scampering over to the table, while the bickering couple ambled to the food lines.

When my roommate returned she had a glimmer in her eyes that indicated her plan's completion.