A knock at the door broke me out of my reverie. I could sense Lizzie was standing outside, a question playing on her mind. 

“Okay, come in if you must.” I wasn’t in the right state of mind to deal with any silly questions. “This better be important.” I warned as she glided into my room silently, closing the door behind her so Evain would not overhear anything. 

“She still won’t eat.” 

“I know.” 

Silence passed between us and seemed to drag on. She shifted her weight and ran her hands through her hair. “We need to find him.” She pressed when I wouldn’t say anything. 

“Don’t you think I know that?!” 

“Damon, don’t shout, if she hears it won’t help anything.” 

I took a deep breath and pushed how irritating she was aside. Putting it into perspective hurt. I wanted Evain to be happy. Elijah made her happy. He was missing and we needed to find him. Trouble was, where do we start? I was unconscious at the time, but Lizzie informed me that when everything happened with Evain and Ailyn, she had escaped but in a weakened state. Who could possibly have fought against Elijah and succeed in capturing him? It made no sense. 

“I’m sorry, it’s just very frustrating! I have no idea where he is, what am I supposed to tell Evain?” 

She smiled at me sympathetically, and I resisted the urge to chuck her out of my room. “You really care about her, don’t you?” 

I couldn’t answer her. I focused on a spot on the floor and didn’t avert my gaze. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her nod at me and leave the room. If she didn’t want to talk about her feelings towards Evain, I wasn’t going to discuss mine. 

Elijah’s POV

“Who are you?” I called out into darkness that surrounded me. All I was greeted with was the sound of my own voice, a mere echo. 

“You called?” A sweet voice came from the far side of the room. When I didn’t reply, the voice came again. “You thought my name, did you not?” 

“I… I thought of no name.” My throat was dry and my body was starting to crave Evain’s blood. I was getting to the stage of withdrawal; I think maybe a couple of days were all I had left. 

A laugh that chimed within the large room startled me. “My name is Echo, since you’re with us now, I am summoned whenever you think or say my name. It does indeed become weary, but it is what I am here to do.” 

I heard the flick of a switch and light slowly filled the room. “I’m sorry it’s so dim to begin with, we’re trying to save energy. They’re the only bulbs he will let me buy.” 

As my eyes adjusted to the sudden light, I saw a petite girl with straight blonde hair that passed her shoulders, a slight curl right at the end. She had startling brown eyes that seemed warm and welcoming whilst her lips were pouty and I could bet that they felt incredibly soft. Her skin took on a slight glow, making her seem surreal which sounded odd seeing as I was supposed to be a surreal character too. 

“What are you?” A question that just dropped off of the tip of my tongue without warning. 

She opened her mouth to respond but froze. Terror filled her eyes within a flash. “He’s coming.” 

“He? Who’s he?” 

Echo ignored me as she backed into a corner just as the door flew open. A tall man with jet black hair, looking the complete opposite of Echo burst into the room, his face contorted in rage.