Until The Very, Very End

The announcer stood on the first few steps of the ring, microphone in hand.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you your finalists! The Magnificent Maverick and the Amazing Reaper!”

As he spoke, Maverick threw her hand in the air. About half of the crowd roared for her, the other half for Reaper.

Max peeked at Reaper and fought off a grin.

She was tall and muscular. She had heavy lids and full lips; pale and drawn against her shock of black hair. Her eyes, murky in color were sharp as she looked at Maverick. 

She would put up a good fight in the morning.

The announcer disappeared, and Alain approached the two finalists among the crowd, with Will by his side.

The crowd split in front of him and he made his way easily to Maverick and Reaper.

Max watched carefully. 

As soon as the announcer left them, the crowd had converged upon her and Reaper. They handled it the same, speaking little and quietly, wondering what they were supposed to do.

They were there to fight, after all, not socialize.

After a few minutes, the horde split into two halves as a man made his way toward them, William at his side and a foot behind him, Olivia a foot behind him. 

He was tall; taller than even she was. He had dark hair, brown bordering on black, that hung just above his ears. Cornflower-blue eyes stared out at her, twinging with something.

She suspected it was lust, and disgust roiled through her.

Not for any physical reason; this man was in shape and didn’t look to be a day over forty. But she couldn’t stand the thought of anyone touching her at the moment.

Her eyes fell on Will, whose face was crafted into an excellent mask of thoughtfulness. It was an exquisite mask; but a mask all the same. She just couldn’t see underneath it.

As they came closer, Will stepped forward.

“Maverick, this is Alain Warden, the host of this party. Alain, this is Maverick,” Will’s voice was pleasant as he spoke.

Max held out her hand, and Alain grasped it firmly. He brought it to his lips, brushed them across her knuckles.

Goosebumps flushed over her skin in disgust, but Alain took it as some sort of delight, because he simply grinned.

He repeated the process with Reaper, but his eyes were always on her.

Finally, he stepped back. William stood behind him to his right, Olivia stood behind him at his left.

“We are looking forward to seeing the both of you at dinner tonight at six thirty,” he said.

Reaper gave her a small glance, nominating her the speaker.

“We feel the same,” Maverick said lamely.

Alain gave her a private smile, and she forced her lips to curve.

He bent formally to the both of them.

“We’ll see you then,” he promised.

Max forced a smile on her face to widen as she nodded.

They retreated, the attendees of the party disappeared to prepare for dinner, leaving she and Reaper alone in the cavernous room.

Max rubbed a hand over her face before she turned and stuck her hand out.

“Maverick,” she said simply.

Reaper took her hand and shook it firmly.

“Reaper,” she replied.

Max nodded, and went to shower.