Chapter 7

Effie slammed the door shut to her lab. She squeezed her eyes shut as hard as she could, trying to keep herself from crying. Her arms wrapped around her waist, she hugged herself tightly and sank to the floor. My parents are gone...they're gone!
Minutes passed by and she finally opened her eyes, no more water blurring her eyes. She saw a thick book on the table across from her.
Effie got up from the ground and looked at her Telekinetic Cuffs, still on her wrist. She's never taken them off.
She focused all her energy on the book. She used both of her hands and motioned the large hardback to float off the desk. Tear it to pieces! her mind told her. BURN THE PAPERS!
She abruptly made her hands in a claw-like position stiffly and waved them away from each other. The bind of the book tore apart, but it also lit up in flames. The book fell back to the floor.
Effie gasped.
The cuffs were supposed to give her the ability to control objects, not light things up! Maybe it transmitted more of your thoughts than she thought.
She ran to the torn book hurriedly and stomped on the flames, setting out the fire. She wouldn't want Hiro getting another panick attack...
Hiro!
She took in a deep breath and let it out. If she was gonna get Hiro to those scientists and finish all of this crap, she had to act as if nothing had changed. Pull your act together.
Hiro was in his lab, upgrading Baymax's suit, same as he always did. He didn't really have anything else to do since all of his Microbots were destroyed, she guessed. She walked in through the door.
"Hey, man," she said, trying her best to smile. "What're you up to?"
Hiro looked at her, first glad to see her Suddenly confusion was written on his face, but he replied.
"Just upgrading Baymax's suit."
Knew it.
"Adding a turbo button to the boosters incase we ever run out of gas for it."
"Cool."
"Would you mind handing me that screw driver?" he asked.
"Yeah, sure." She reached for the tool across the table and it moved away. Wha-? She tried to grab it again and it fell on the floor. She looked at the cuffs on her wrist. She had to take them off. Effie pulled off one, but when she tried to pull off the other, she winced in pain. The end of the bracelet had grown into her wrist.
She looked at Hiro. He was still wiring in the button. She probably had only about a minute before he needed the screw driver. Effie yanked out the cuff and bit her lip. That hurt more than she thought. Blood streamed from her wrist to her fingers and dripped on the floor. She wiped it off on her black tank top.
She reached for it again. It kept moving away from her hand. How was that possible? She already took off the cuffs! She cornered the tool to the wall and finally picked it up.
She returned to Hiro at the table.
"Here you go."
"Thanks." Hiro screwed in the button to the back of the suit.
"Are you free this weekend?" she suddenly blurted out, wanting to get this over with.
Hiro's eyes widened at the question. "Are you...asking-?"
Effie rolled her eyes.
"Pfft. Of course not."
Her attitude made Hiro regret asking that. Of course Effie was never interested in him. He felt embarrassment wash over him, but continued to talk.
"Uh, yeah. Why do you ask?"
"I was thinking we could go to the movies. You know, as friends."
Hiro chuckled, trying his best to act as if it meant nothing. He actually hoped he was more that a friend.
"Yeah, sure."
"So how's tomorrow night sound?" she said. "Infinity War comes out Friday."
"Okay. I'll meet you there. The theatre across the street, right?"
"Yep!" she said, forcing a smile. "See you then!"
She walked out of his lab and looked at her hands again.
That was...odd.