Chapter 1

3 Months Ago
• • •
Aunt Cass slid a plate of eggs and sausage in front of Hiro and set down his glass of orange juice. "You might wanna hurry up a bit, you're running late." Hiro gobbled up his breakfast and started to rush out the door of the Café when his Aunt stopped him.
"Hiro!"
He stopped and turned to face her. "What?"
"Aren't you forgetting something?" she said. She waved his lunch bag. He walked back to her and snatched his lunch. "Thanks," he told her with a smile and ran back out the door to SFIT.
Hiro was dashing down the block on his was to school when he passed the cemetery and realized something: Today was the day Tadashi died a year ago. The memory flashed in his eyes.
"Tadashi! No!"
"Someone has to help!"
The explosion brought him back to reality. He still had panic attacks every time there was anything explosive or fire-related such as fireworks or canons. He wouldn't be able to handle it. It would cause him to freak and breakdown to his knees and he'd just start sobbing uncontrollably. He avoided Honey Lemon's lab especially since then.
Hiro sighed. He checked his phone for the time. 8:30 a.m. He was already late, he might as well. Hiro picked flowers from the fence and entered the grave yard. He walked up to Tadashi's stone. He touched the letters engraved into the stone. Hiro left the flowers at the foot of the rock and whispered, "Thanks for being my brother."
He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, then let it out and headed for the exit. He wished Tadashi had said goodbye.
Hiro left and kept running down the block. He finally saw SFIT come into his view and he picked up the pace. He was about to go up the stairs to the entrance before he heard a girl screaming at him. "Hey!"
He turned to see a girl around his age riding on a skateboard rushing towards him in a rapid speed. "Look out!"
"Ahh!" Hiro yelped before they both crashed.
"Ow," the girl groaned, sitting up. She wore a black T-shirt, a bit too big for her, with shorts and a pair of red converse. She wore her black hair in a messy fishtail braid. She touched her elbow, wiping her cut with her finger.
"You okay?"
"Yeah, I guess," Hiro replied to her. "Just scraped my knee."
"I'm sorry, man. It's my first day and I'm already late."
"You're new," he said, getting up and offering his hand.
"Yeah," she said, taking his hand. Hiro pulled her back up to her feet. "I didn't really fit in at my high school, I skipped a few grades. I guess I was more...advanced...than the rest of the kids there."
"Where's your class?"
"I'm taking robotics," she told him. "It's in..." She pulled out a paper from her pocket. "... building 1A."
"I'm taking robotics, too. I'll show you the way."
"Thanks!" she smiled. They went up the steps and before they walked in, the girl said, "Wait, I never got your name."
"I'm Hiro," he said. "Hiro Hamada."
"Well, I'm Effie. Effie Yakimura."
Hiro opened the door for Effie and walked in after her. Of course, everyone was already in their labs. Hiro guided Effie to the empty laboratory next to his. There was a paper taped on the door that said Reserved for Effie Yakimura, so he figured it was hers. "I'm sure the new professor will come by and show you around later," he told her. "I'll be right next door if you need me."
Effie waved Hiro bye as he left the room. Effie waited a few minutes before pressing the button on her earpiece and saying: "I'm in."